X

'04 Katana 600 with no miles on it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '04 Katana 600 with no miles on it

I am seriously thinking about getting a Katana for my first bike. I see a craigslist ad for an '04 katana with 125 miles on it. It has just been sitting in their garage for six years. They are asking $4000 which is obviously too high even with the low mileage. I would probably put new tires on it right away just because they are old and I have no idea what the condition of the chain or sprockets are because I haven't seen it yet. I would take a friend of mine that rides an '06 kat that he bought new to give it a good look over and test drive.

How much would you guys offer for a bike like this? What other problems could I run into with an old bike that hasn't been ridden?

i just bought a 01 600f with 16,000km on it
    pain 3500 saftied i thought that wasd a pretty good deal

maybe not...

Comment

if the chain was lubed before it was parked in the garage, it should only need to be cleaned to remove dust and dirt that's blown and settled on it over the years, then lubed again. The gas in the tank is likely useless and unburnable by now, fuel filter is possibly gummed up needing replacement, carbs will most likely need a full cleaning as well. I would also change the oil. You already mentioned the tires should be ready for replacement asap due to age. Unless it's been on a tender this whole time, it probably will need a new battery. Throttle, choke and clutch cables should probably be lubed. IF it's as clean as a bike should be with only 125 miles on it, $4k probably isn't a bad price, as long as you do the needed work yourself or have a friend help you with it.
      Last edited by Psycho1; 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

They mention in the ad that they get it running "every now and then."

Comment

$4000 ???? for a '94? Are you on crack? For pete's sake, the bike's only worth $2000 at BEST.

The carbs WILL need to be cleaned as well as well as whatever else. Honestly, just sitting is NOT good for a bike. Mine was sitting for 3 years and it was clean but carbs were dirty. I paid $1300 to the original owner with 5500 miles - here's a picture of how it looked the day I got it.

$4000, hahaha. These bike are not in high demand anymore - except by young punks that don't know **** about riding and they wring them out and crash them. You'ld be doing the seller a favor by giving him $2000 in my opinion.

Good luck
          Last edited by akarob; 06-09-2010, 08:14 PM.

Comment

$4000 is too much even with the low miles. Unless you got 4k just lying around. If it runs and seems to be mechanically sound, try 3k.

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
              $4000 ???? for a '94? Are you on crack? For pete's sake, the bike's only worth $2000 at BEST.

The carbs WILL need to be cleaned as well as well as whatever else. Honestly, just sitting is NOT good for a bike. Mine was sitting for 3 years and it was clean but carbs were dirty. I paid $1300 to the original owner with 5500 miles - here's a picture of how it looked the day I got it.

$4000, hahaha. These bike are not in high demand anymore - except by young punks that don't know **** about riding and they wring them out and crash them. You'ld be doing the seller a favor by giving him $2000 in my opinion.

Good luck
              Uhhh... It's an '04
              '03 600 Kat
              '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

$4000 is too high for that bike. Check KBB.
                I got my '03 Katana for $800.00 in San Diego. It was sitting for two years with the registration unpaid. The carbs had to be rebuilt, tank cleaned, plugs changed, oil and filter changed, the brakes and chain were replaced and the bike gone over to make sure it would'nt fall apart on the freeway ($725.00) and the the registration dues were $600.00. Then I had to buy new tires. The front cost me $60.00 (Brand new Metzler - off ebay) and the back was $55.00 (Brand new Michelin Pilot Power Race Soft - off ebay) + $70.00 to put them on the bike. So the grand total was $2300.00, Oh yeah, it had 8200 miles on it when I got it and now it has 9200 miles.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dallmyt1; 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I just got my 1994 Kat up and running after sitting for about 6-7 yrs (has about 6k miles on it). This is what it cost me.
                  Sealed Battery-$60
                  Oil & Filter-$38
                  Front and Rear Tire Purchased,Mounted, and Balanced-$275
                  New Spark Plugs-$10
                  New Brake Fluid-$15
                  Cleaning out the bowls on the Carbs-$4(Can of Carb cleaner and I did it)
                  Cleaned Air box and Filter
                  Lubed choke & throttle cable and chain.

So far so good, It's running strong

Comment

I always consider resale value first...even if it's a super clean bike. If you ride it for two years and put about 15k on the odo you'd be looking at selling it for about $2800 tops- if you maintain it perfectly. I'd start at $3200...

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                      if the chain was lubed before it was parked in the garage, it should only need to be cleaned to remove dust and dirt that's blown and settled on it over the years, then lubed again. The gas in the tank is likely useless and unburnable by now, fuel filter is possibly gummed up needing replacement, carbs will most likely need a full cleaning as well. I would also change the oil. You already mentioned the tires should be ready for replacement asap due to age. Unless it's been on a tender this whole time, it probably will need a new battery. Throttle, choke and clutch cables should probably be lubed. IF it's as clean as a bike should be with only 125 miles on it, $4k probably isn't a bad price, as long as you do the needed work yourself or have a friend help you with it.
                      Dito
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by 4banger View Post
                        Uhhh... It's an '04
                        Oh, *slaps head* Sounds like a lot better deal then. Got any pictures?

Comment

Just one pic and not a very good one. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see what I can do. It will be a few days before I make a move though.

Originally posted by Dallmyt1 View Post
                          ... and the the registration dues were $600.00.
                          Why was the registration so high?
                          Last edited by stonefry; 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

really check on the tags it can be high if not payed ....for me i might go $3000-3300 cause the total costs of getting on the road will be high .... find a r-6 or a cbr -600 in the same range will be better even with milage since it will be a better bike and a turn key bike ...tires , chain and sprokets add up and back tags are high ..

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                              .... find a r-6 or a cbr -600 in the same range will be better even with milage since it will be a better bike and a turn key bike ...tires , chain and sprokets add up and back tags are high ..
                              This will be my first bike. I don't even have my license yet (taking the safety course at the end of the month). I am looking at the Katana because it is a good first bike, I like the riding position, insurance rates, gas mileage, and price point.

Comment

Working...
                              X