X

Beef it Up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef it Up?

I have a 05 katana 600 with two brothers racing pipe, jetted carbs. What can I do to increase horsepower without extensive engine work?

Nothing's gonna give you huge gains...

You can pull the header and (carefully) grind the factory weld buildup out, can put an ignition advancer on- apart from that I don't know what else is going to make a change. Kat's aren't "beefy" in the engine department, I'd just say "adequate."

There are a zillion threads open on small performance mods, use the search function. And welcome to KR.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Add a 5 degree ignition advancer, grind out the welds in exhaust.

And you can search the forum for specifics and more ideas like a 1100cc engine swap, Grixxer cams, etc.
      Good luck
      Blackdog
      DRz-400e plated
      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

swap out for a B12
        "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bmacc View Post
          I have a 05 katana 600 with two brothers racing pipe, jetted carbs. What can I do to increase horsepower without extensive engine work?
          Advice:

Don't touch the airbox or filter! Don't put in K$N's,

I've done all 4 mods, advancer, jets, pipe, weld grinding. I am pretty happy with my bike. Straight line, could use more oomph, but curves it pulls nice and it's more about technique in the twisties anyway...

Have fun, if you are still not satisfied after that, B12 it!

Comment

drop any 1100 Kat engine in the frame

Comment

This is what you do....Go to Wal-Mart pick up a for sale sign! Sell the Kat, then buy a Gixxer Completing both steps will give you an instant 30hp (if you get the Gixxer 600)

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by bmacc View Post
                i have the exact same bike.
                05 600
                two brothers exhaust
                dyno jet stage 1 jet kit
                -1 front sprocket
                K&n air filter ( do not do this mod unless you want a HUGE headache trying to tune you bike)
                '89 gixxer 750 cams

and i can keep up with the gixxer cbr and ninja 600s all day at the drag strip. even some of the squids on liter bikes
                i still need to grind my header welds and put an ignition advancer on.

and even then i can only keep up with them to about 110, after that i get left in the dust. if speed is your game you might as well look at the cost of mods to the kat and just go with a ss bike. but if comfort, sight seeing and an occasional need for speed, is your game, maybe a few mods to the kat will fulfill your desire.
                Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Lower gearing, or engine swap is the best bet for noticable performance gains for your $.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    This is what you do....Go to Wal-Mart pick up a for sale sign! Sell the Kat, then buy a Gixxer Completing both steps will give you an instant 30hp (if you get the Gixxer 600)
                    ahahahaha thats funny but true. I love how the first thing people ask is for more power. The kat wasnt meant to be a rr. if you wanted more power you should have bought a supersport or bigger cc touring bike. my uncles st1300 does the 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec. which is faster than a kat 750.
                    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                    Current Bikes:
                    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

my kat dusts any 600rr bike Do what i did....find a nice cheap 1216 gsxr motor...

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
                        my kat dusts any 600rr bike Do what i did....find a nice cheap 1216 gsxr motor...
                        finding them is the hard part. i always have my eye out for a b12 or the 1127
                        i want to do it this winter but gotta find parts first
                        Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukii600 View Post
                          finding them is the hard part. i always have my eye out for a b12 or the 1127
                          i want to do it this winter but gotta find parts first
                          You can use a 1052 engine as well, so don't exclude them. The 1127 would give you more power, but the 1052 is still a stout engine.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                          X