X

91 600 - Odd electrical problem.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 600 - Odd electrical problem.

So about 4 weeks ago (before I actually past my test) I was getting the bike out for a muck about in the garden when I hit the indicators and they went off. Headlight was OK, as was the brakelight. Did some research, found out about the circuit breaker, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, reset the CB and all was well.

Tonight, same thing happened again when I was wheeling her round to the front of the house (engine off, ign on) when I grabbed the front brake. Brake light still worked however. Reset the CB and she started OK but was rather reluctant - needed quite a bit of choke (more than usual). Indicators failed again half way to my destination - manual signalling is lethal! Rev counter also failed but started working again before I got to my destination.

Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, reset the CB and she's been fine. Went out for a quick blast (long way home) and all has been well. So what's going on here? Why is the CB tripping? Why don't *all* my electrics fail when it does?

Help!

OK, this is more dangerous than I thought. The brake light stops working as well. You also lose your Neutral and Oil telltales, but the Main Beam one is still working. I've tried resetting the CB but it doesn't seem to wanna and it's still chucking it down outside so I haven't disconnected the battery yet.

Double help!

Comment

You have a short in the wiring or the fuse box is going bad. I would make sure to clean all connectors to the signals. Clean the fuse box connections as well. Mine kept doing the same thing a while. Mine was to small of a fuse in there. I put in a #20 and it has never done it again.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thanks for that! It started working again out of the blue as I rode up to my workshop. I stripped the fuse box out, cleaned all the connectors (quite a bit of verdigris on a few contacts) and replaced the brake/indicator fuse with a 20 amp. I'll see how we go.

Comment

Working...
        X