Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Pre-600 to post-750 swap...whats good upgrades?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-600 to post-750 swap...whats good upgrades?

Hello people. It's been a while since I've been here but had a lot goin on. How's everyone been? I've finally got my 92 Kat pretty much ready for the road and low and behold....I found an 01 Kat 750. The 750 is pretty much a parts bike (most everything is there just lots of broke mounting points and such).
    I was thinking about maybe this winter doing some swapping around to get better handling and performance. The 750 motor has about 17K on it and I was considering doing a swap. What all is involved? Should I use the 750 harness? 750 carbs? Also I thought while I was at it maybe swap the 750 swinger to the 600 as well. The 750 has a 180 on the rear at the moment....that would be nice.
    Any thoughts on what all you guys (and gals) would swap over?

If it's me, I'm using as much of the 750 as possile when doing the transplant. There's a swap thread around here somewhere, bud. Search - should be a sticky at this point.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I swapped a 01 Kat 750 into my 91 Kat 600...Easy swap.

USE:

01 750 engine
      01 750 carbs (TPS stays on just doesn't hook to anything not an issue at all)
      01 750 header and exhaust
      01 750 air box

Use the alternator from your Kat 600 (bolts right on the plug on the 01 is different

You will need an oil cooler from a 89-97 Katana 750 hit up Ebay.

Starter from 01 750 works fine.

Use the one throttle cable from your pre 98 Kat on the 01 750 carbs (works fine, 01 engine has two cables one push one pull)

You won't need the speed sensor wire running from the side cover on the 01 750 engine. The pre 98 has a cable speedo not electric.

That's about it.

Comment

I appreciate the info! It may be winter before I start a transplant but I may go ahead and remove what I'm going to use and part out anything thats left. I'll do a little more searching on the swingarm....I saw a thread somewhere that said you have to grind down the pivot point like 3/16" I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
          I appreciate the info! It may be winter before I start a transplant but I may go ahead and remove what I'm going to use and part out anything thats left. I'll do a little more searching on the swingarm....I saw a thread somewhere that said you have to grind down the pivot point like 3/16" I believe.
          You need to remove 1.5mm from either side of the swingarm pivot tube to fit a post in a pre. You also need the linkage from the post.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why swap in another Kat swingarm ?I miss something ?
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              It about the 180 tire he wants to run.
              Last edited by Blackdog; 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM. Reason: sp
              Blackdog
              DRz-400e plated
              Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                The post swingarm will be a bit larger than the Pre 600 arm. This is for clearances around a larger rim/tire and length. I'm in process of gathering parts now for a Post swinger to a pre 750 mod, but there were several factors to that... I already modded it to fit a 5.5 or 6" wheel, cleaner look fitting a wheel hugger on one since the brakes are on the bottom side, of the 3 swingarms (post, pre 600, pre 750) it gives the best clearances for the wheel mods, the post linkage setup is better suited for adjustable links, and to be honest, the biggest reason....

I wanted too do the mod to see what it would take.

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
                It about the 180 tire he wants to run.
                If it's still the stock 4.5" rear rim, then the 180 is way drawn in and very out of profile... basically giving crappy ride, performance, and decreasing life of the tire all the while increasing the chances for a blowout or tire failure.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                  I swapped a 01 Kat 750 into my 91 Kat 600...Easy swap.

USE:

01 750 engine
                  01 750 carbs (TPS stays on just doesn't hook to anything not an issue at all)
                  01 750 header and exhaust
                  01 750 air box

Use the alternator from your Kat 600 (bolts right on the plug on the 01 is different

You will need an oil cooler from a 89-97 Katana 750 hit up Ebay.

Starter from 01 750 works fine.

Use the one throttle cable from your pre 98 Kat on the 01 750 carbs (works fine, 01 engine has two cables one push one pull)

You won't need the speed sensor wire running from the side cover on the 01 750 engine. The pre 98 has a cable speedo not electric.

That's about it.
                  Just to add- I'm running a post 750 oil cooler on my pre750 with a post oil pan with no problem. I'm not running bottom brackets at all, so I can't comment on them, but they wouldn't be difficult to modify if they didn't line up exactly.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

This may or may not be something I do, the swingarm or the motor swap. Hey if I decide not to I'm gonna have a whole bike to part out. That would actually give me a little money to do other things with.
                    I don't necessarily want to run a 180 but would be nice to have something bigger than the 140 or 150. Somewhat for aesthetic reasons i suppose. I definitely don't want to ride on anything thats squirmy or dangerous in any way. Seems Krey is the swingarm Guru around here so If I decide to go with that 180 I'll definitely hit you up.
                    I finally found the build thread pretty much exactly like I'm wanting to do and It's got all the things listed in what loudnlow7484 said. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                      I don't necessarily want to run a 180 but would be nice to have something bigger than the 140 or 150.
                      Then just get you a 98+ wheel . I did . 150/70 or 160/60 on there . 160 gives you more choices of sporty rubber .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

gl with the swap...and you should be able to do well with the part out if the rest is in decent shape.
                        ROLL TIDE!

Comment

Working...
                        X