X

Problem getting a key made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem getting a key made

I'm trying to get a key made for my 05 Kat 750. I have been to walmart, lowes and home depot and the blanks they all say should work do not match up. Do I have to get this done at a dealer, or does anyone know what the blank # is for the keys?
    ROLL TIDE!

I got mine made at a dealer. It was $16 (or something like that) for the blank and they cut it for free.

Comment

Go to a real locksmith store. I had no problems what-so-ever.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        Go to a real locksmith store. I had no problems what-so-ever.
        Thats what ya gotta do. Most stores only have the double sided dies for Ford car keys, since motorcycle keys are also double sided the dips at the store think they will work. Yeah they may cut okay, but 99% of the time they done work in the lock.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

that's what I figured. I am gonna try to make it to a dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.
          ROLL TIDE!

Comment

When you do, will you give a quick update on what they charge? I need to get a key made for my bike and I'm curious about how much it costs. I'm hoping its around $16 like PilotC150 said.

Comment

key for my 98 kat 750 from a locksmith - $6. Lowes, Walmart, etc..... typically don't carry the blank needed.
              Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

I went to Ace Hardware, had the key made, it cost 2.10 including tax and works great. Is nothing fancy, but just a backup. He made it and said that if it didn't work to bring it back and they would give me my money back, I really wasn't worried about the 2 dollars, but went home and it worked like a charm.

Comment

I had lost my key and spare within a week. Let me tell you that's something fun to deal with. To get it rekeyed, you have to get a set of security torques bits and remove the ignition tumbler, take it to a straight up locksmith. They can whip it up in a second. I had the hardest time finding the security bits and blanks. I had to call a few dealers And then found one that had a few. I should've called the locksmith before tho because he had em cheaper. To get the rekey done it was $30. The set of torques bits, $30... All in all an expensive mistake. Btw, the security bits are the ones with a hole in the center. If I remember right it's a #30.

Comment

sounds like it would've almost been cheaper to get a new ignition/lock set...but I guess you would have still needed to bit to change it out

I might see if I can find an Ace hardware then because $4 sounds a lot better than $30 (I want 2 keys made)
                    ROLL TIDE!

Comment

You can purchase bike/model specific key blanks on ebay and have those copied from yours anywhere.

There are also some novelty key blanks on ebay as well if you want something different.

Like this one...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just had one made at Ace as well.

Comment

I found an Ace near and they had the blank and cut it no problem. Was less than $4,59 for 2 keys
                          ROLL TIDE!

Comment

Working...
                          X