X

Trip up the coast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip up the coast

My wife,bother and father inlaw and I are all going from Reno to Eureka Ca in less then 10 days from now. We are spending 7 days riding the cost to oregon, camping along the way. This has been a dream ride of mine since I was a teenager and that was some time ago. lol
    We are taking one truck with a trailer just in case one or two people don't feel like riding or worse something breaks.
    This is only my wifes second year riding but she is a very good and steady rider.
    If any of you know sights or rides that are a most in Nothern cal please share them with me.
    Last edited by Fastymz; 06-04-2010, 01:25 AM.
    2003 Katana 750F
    1986 VFR 700F

You are in luck

Because:
    1) I used to live in Arcata, I know the area well (graduated from HSU).
    2) I go there often
    3) I have done the trip on my kat 1100
    4) I live in Carson City

Go through Susanville, nice ride, to Redding. From Redding, the 299 is pretty twisty. Make sure you fill up in Redding. You will pass Arcata on the way to Eureka. There are some awesome brew pubs up there if you want info. I usually spend my first night at the Econo lodge in Eureka as it is run down, cheap and walking distance to Lost Coast Brewery which is a very cool place to wind down. Mind you, they have some incredible food up there too. Make sure to spend time with the redwoods, and stop and check out trinidad, north of Arcata on your way to Oregon. It was the site of the last active whaling stating in the U.S. (closed in like 1922). They have filmed a lot of movies in this area too, like Nome Mobile, Return of the Jedi, Jurrassic Park 2, Outbreak (filmed in fortuna) and some others.
    A must drive is what might be the best ride in the world, old 101 Avenue of the Giants. It winds around the tallest trees in the world and is always dark because they block the sun. You can smell them too. Make sure to stop at the free park museum to see the 1932 4wd motorhome made out of a carved log.
    Oh, make sure to bring a costco card as the area has the most expensive gas in the U.S.- costco charges like $.20 less that the other stations. There is a whole lot you can do and see there, but I doubt you'll have time. When I went there on my bike, I went south, through San Fran, then took highway 1 to San Simeon. Took like 16 hours, but highway 1 through Big Sur down the coast, is another legendary drive you'll have to check out some day.

Comment

Right on! Riding the coast is also a dream of mine. I wish you the best and safest of trips, and please share the pics with us.
      It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

There's an Elk viewing area between Eureka and Crescent City, where you turn left off 101 and the Elk are usually right next to the road. Hit the "Trees of Mystery" just south of Crescent City, you can't miss it, they have a huge paper machete Paul Bunion with Babe the Blue Ox in the parking lot. There's also a Aquarium in Crescent City, with a shark petting tank, and a sea lion show that is pretty cool if you take the tour. If you take the Redwoods Highway heading east just north of Crescent City, there are some turnout parking areas with foot trails you can walk down and see some huge redwood trees. The beach right next to the marina there has tons of sand dollars and a beautiful sunset if the skies are clear. Further northeast on Redwoods Highway in OR there is a Wildlife Park that is also set up like a petting zoo. Most restaurants, tourist attractions, and hotel lobbies have fliers and maps for all the other tourist attractions in the area. Have fun, and have a safe ride.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Go to the Six rivers brew pub in Mckinleyville,15 minutes north
          of eureka.It over looks the ocean. You can drink fresh IPA
          while watching the sun set over Trinidad Bay.It doesn't
          get any better than that.

Comment

I will take and share some pictures and we are staying in Trinidad for 5 days and going on day trips from there. Thanks for the suggestions I try and do them all I will for sure do the 101 ave of gaints ride.
            2003 Katana 750F
            1986 VFR 700F

Comment

man this gets me in touring mode. drive safe and have fun
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

We got back Saturday what an awesome trip and sights. We did some fast riding and some of the most smooth highway I have ever riden. We got to Oregon on day that was a fast and fun ride. I can't believe the power my bike as at sea level compaired to 4200 feet above. I would have to recomend to every one to take a bike trip at least once. Just a few of the 200 bikes we took.

We rode about 600 miles in the days we were in Patricks point, we rode hwy 299 and 199. The weather was cold and damp but we still rode. Some amazing about riding along side the ocean and the redwoods. I will add the Katana 750 held it's own agaist some much more powerful bikes. I was never out ran in the turns even at 109 I only got 122 out of a straigh away then it was time to just enjoy the area.
                Last edited by Fastymz; 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                2003 Katana 750F
                1986 VFR 700F

Comment

patricks point is gorgeous. Did you have a chance to ride the Avenue of the Giants?
                  If you loved the ocean, you should plan on doing the best ocean drive in the world-drive from Monterrey to Pismo on highway 1. i hope to do that run again this fall.

Comment

post more pics. I would love to be able to take a trip like that...not much like it here in the south east though
                    ROLL TIDE!

Comment

The bay at Trinidad

My wifes VFR

This picture shows the awesome size of the redwood tree's on the right in a new growth redwood and normal tree in the middle and an old growth redwood on the left.

Fern valley amazing place to hike.

Just down from where we camped,

A group shot,

Home

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                      patricks point is gorgeous. Did you have a chance to ride the Avenue of the Giants?
                      If you loved the ocean, you should plan on doing the best ocean drive in the world-drive from Monterrey to Pismo on highway 1. i hope to do that run again this fall.
                      Thats funny because I really like Monterey and go there where ever I can, but have yet to ride that area so that will be the next trip. I was thinking from Montery to San Luis Obispo now that would be an awesome ride
                      Last edited by Fastymz; 06-23-2010, 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      2003 Katana 750F
                      1986 VFR 700F

Comment

You should post of pic of your bike in front of a redwood for perspective- make the east coasters envious!
                        Trinidad is great. I can tell you took that pic from the little pier, site of last operating whaling station in the U.S. closed in 1926 (I think). If you ever see the movie "Jennifer 8", they filmed a few scenes on that pier. Sometimes there are otters around that pier. They spend their life lying on their backs in the sun, wrapped with seaweed, eating claims. They have a cool life!
                        I lived in that area for 2 1/2 years, had a '80 GS 550E and drove that midsize tank of a bike everywhere- who wouldn't?

Comment

I'm drooling! That looks like an awesome trip and I'm jealous.
                          It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

"Thats funny because I really like Monterey and go there where ever I can, but have yet to ride that area so that will be the next trip. I was thinking from Montery to San Luis Obispo now that would be an awesome ride "

I rode from Eureka- San Francisco (white lined through the 101 traffic) through Watsonville (almost got t-boned by a local bike cop!) then highway 1 to a motel near San Simeon (went to the Hearst Castle). It was a pretty ^#*(# intense drive, took about 15 hours I think, all worth it. I later drove to Point Magu in Ventura county (used to live near there) and on the beach, saw them filimg that Herbie Rides Again movie with Lindsey Lohan. Every 5 minutes, I'd see that VW race along Pacific Coast Highway followed by two helicopters loaded with cool looking cameras.
                            Pismo Beach is a real cool place to hang, nice pier, excellent steak house (McClintocks), surf is ok. I doubt that I could safely travel with my body board strapped on the side of my Kat 1100 though!

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                              "

I rode from Eureka- San Francisco (white lined through the 101 traffic) through Watsonville (almost got t-boned by a local bike cop!) then highway 1 to a motel near San Simeon (went to the Hearst Castle). It was a pretty ^#*(# intense drive, took about 15 hours I think, all worth it. I later drove to Point Magu in Ventura county (used to live near there) and on the beach, saw them filimg that Herbie Rides Again movie with Lindsey Lohan. Every 5 minutes, I'd see that VW race along Pacific Coast Highway followed by two helicopters loaded with cool looking cameras.
                              Pismo Beach is a real cool place to hang, nice pier, excellent steak house (McClintocks), surf is ok. I doubt that I could safely travel with my body board strapped on the side of my Kat 1100 though!
                              Wow 15 hours sounds like an awesome trip!
                              2003 Katana 750F
                              1986 VFR 700F

Comment

Working...
                              X