Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7500 mi service

I brought my bike in for this service.

To those who have had this done at a shop :

What'dya pay? Or how many labor hours were you charged?

"You can pour syrup on sh*t, but that doesn't make it pancakes"

I'd have to expect that most people would do most of the items on that list themselves. I can certainly understand if you dont want to adjust your own vavles though. You can save a boat load of money if you take all the plastics off yourself and have them adjust valves and carbs only.

Comment

I did it myself but I did call around to a bunch of dealer ships and they were charging between 400 and 600 for the whole thing in the DC area.

Comment

Originally posted by doblerj14 View Post
        I did it myself but I did call around to a bunch of dealer ships and they were charging between 400 and 600 for the whole thing in the DC area.
        so you want to do mine then??

Comment

ok

that's what i expected. they charged 500 but I talked em down to 295.

go me.

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
            so you want to do mine then??
            i dont like working on other people stuff in case i break something and belive me it has happen enought. But if you want i can help out sometime.

Comment

7500 mi service, now high idle

Now I got it back. But it seems to idle high in neutral. Like around 2500 rpms.

What should I do

Comment

Adjust the idle lower? Lefty lucy turns it down, righty tighty adjusts it up. Make sure the bike is up to operating temp with choke off.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yeah I think I'll try that.

I don't know what happened though. Is this a product of the valve adjustment?

Comment

nah, they prolly hit it when undoing your carbs or something, no big deal, thats what the dial is for.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

If the carbs are sync'd right, you should have a rock solid idle at 1500 rpm.

Comment

For $295, I would bet that they did not touch the valves! Perhaps they needed the business, and also maybe they got it torn apart and the valves were all within tolerance..... this is why I did my last one myself, I tried to get them all to the middle of the spec. Not trying to scare you, but I priced around 2 years ago and it was around $500. Hey, maybe you got a good deal and all is well. Good luck and that service should take you through a # of more miles

Comment

adjusted idle.

bike runs like a top.

smooth as a freshly shaven... well it's smooth I'll leave it at that

Originally posted by miller7170 View Post
                          For $295, I would bet that they did not touch the valves! Perhaps they needed the business, and also maybe they got it torn apart and the valves were all within tolerance..... this is why I did my last one myself, I tried to get them all to the middle of the spec. Not trying to scare you, but I priced around 2 years ago and it was around $500. Hey, maybe you got a good deal and all is well. Good luck and that service should take you through a # of more miles
                          They adjusted the valves. Here's why it was so cheap :

I called a couple weeks ago and asked for a quote. The guy said he'd call back. When he did, I didn't pick up and he left a message. In the message
                          he said it would be 2.5 hours of labor, @ $90 per hour. I saved the voicemail.

When I got to the shop (a Suzuki dealer) they printed the factory work order for this service, and it called for 4+ hours of labor. the original estimate was $506, like you said.

I played the voicemail message for the service guy and he agreed to only charge me for 2.5 hours of labor.

I asked what happened to the guy who gave me the quote. They said he was transferred out of the service dept.

They did a ton of **** besides the valve adjustment too.
                          Last edited by plucas_78; 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sounds like their mistake on a quote was your gain! Gotta like an honest dealer like that!

Comment

For sure. They are a large volume dealer about 1 mile from Boston.

Next task : get a new front tire.

Comment

Working...
                              X