X

2005 Kat 750 bogging

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Kat 750 bogging

I have a 2005 750 katana that all of a sudden acted like it was running out of gas. It lost all power when running then would backfire and die. After sitting a few minutes it would restart and repeat the process. I got it home finally, removed the tank, rerouted the fuel line, installed a vacuum line that was missing totally from the tank, and turned the sync screws all the way in because it was racing at idle now. Got the idle down, sometimes dies, adjuster does nothing, but when riding it, it bogs when you apply the throttle. Power is down probably three quarters and seems like nothing is there. Any ideas from anyone? I got the bike used with 12000 miles but think some punk owned it before and thought he was a mechanic but was actually an idiot. Screws missing, half the stuff jerry-rigged, and new paint job had runs everywhere. When the vacuum line was missing it would only run in Prime position but ran good and power was strong. Now it doesn't matter but no power in prime or on. Will get up in the rpm's but slowly in each gear. I need help.

Went back out and took the tank off again. I have a glass filter on it, I took it apart and put it back together nice and tite and reinstalled it. First bike had no power, then all of a sudden it did a little hitch and took off. Power is back, but.... Idle is at about 5000 rpm now. Geeze. Any help appreciated, this is a pain in the butt and I have damn near a full tank of gas in it which doesn't help matters.

Comment

Sounds like you might want to do an exploratory cleaning on the carbs and associated items... boots, orings, airbox, air filter, etc... No telling what he's done inside.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Will do cleaning.

I think I will take the advice from both of you and tear the carbs down. Might as well. I need to know how anyway. I am going to have to set up a temporary fuel tank on a stand too so I leave the tank off. Do you guys know if leaving the vacuum line disconnected affects the running of the engine at all? Of course I am talking about only while the tank is off, but can the bike be dialed in off a temp tank? Also I am going to replace the filter and check the petcock for debris.

Comment

If you plug the vac line with a golf tee or something you could then sync the carbs while using your temporary fuel supply. If it's unplugged and drawing air, you won't get a good sync.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Gotcha, thanks

Comment

Working...
            X