X

Mistake???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistake???

Ok let's see here....I have a pre 600, it was running perfectly fine and today stopped by a yard sale and much to my surprise there were two K&N filters for my bike...unlikey find huh......anyways I get home take the tank off, fairings, all that stuff then the airbox. I put the filters on, which I had to take the carbs off to do for some reason...sucked. I then put everything back together and back on and took it for a little ride. The problem is a big time hesitation when you try to open it up, it still goes but you can hear and feel the hesitation and I don't know what the problem is. Would the filters cause it or is it possibly something else, does it need jetted now or?? Any advice much appreciated.

Yes it needs jetted. You added a lot more air into the engine but not anymore fuel. It was probably pinging at higher rpms, wasnt it?

Most people dont like K&N's on here. I like mine, but tuning is a PIA. If I had to do it again, Id probaly keep everything 100% stock. (I say that, but knowing myself I wouldnt be able to keep it that way.)
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

You need to re-jet big time, the new filters have totally changed the air fuel ratio, it's not like a car where you can chuck a K&N in and go.

Comment

Yeah I'm finding this out. It also has a Vance & Hines ss2r exhaust and it has had 6 inches cut off of it and no packing so that prob. is a factor too huh? How much would it be at a dealership to get it jetted and wander how long it would take. How hard is it to do?

Comment

I wouldn't ride it as is, you are probably running so lean "as is", you could fry the engine. At least get your stock air filter back in... When an engine is lean it gets really hot in the combustion chamber and if it starts pinging bad things happen.

Maybe?

Comment

I hate when I do dumb stuff lol!!! I would like to keep the filters on and just get it jetted but money is tight right now and I don't know anything about it really. I need some info on the cost of parts and labor, I hate to take it to a stealership but idk. Anyways I will take the advice and not run it like it is I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blazed426 View Post
              I hate when I do dumb stuff lol!!! I would like to keep the filters on and just get it jetted but money is tight right now and I don't know anything about it really. I need some info on the cost of parts and labor, I hate to take it to a stealership but idk. Anyways I will take the advice and not run it like it is I guess.
              Even with a jetkit, it will be almost impossible to fine tune with pod filters so the bike runs well at all rpms.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have an almost new K&N air filter sitting in the garage right now for that same reason. Wish I knew about KR prior to that purchase because I would have never bought it.
                It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Even with a jetkit, it will be almost impossible to fine tune with pod filters so the bike runs well at all rpms.

Krey
                  And certainly not by your average dealership bike tech..... You would need to find somebody who really knows how to set up bike carbs. I'm sure there are plenty of really good dealership techs out there, but the majority of them I wouldn't entrust with something like that.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Krey

I have had no problems
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

my bike had a k&n when i bought it..... when i rejetted my bike last summer i got the stock filter.

+1 point for EFI.
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                        I have had no problems
                        You have a different beast with different cams, it would be a different experiance for you...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My bike had issues when I bought it, too but that was with a single K&N in the stock airbox. Got better when I went back to the stock filter. As for re-jetting, there's a lot of hours of billable labor involved with tweaking that in. That's at $75 or so an hour! Unless you REALLY want those extra 2-3 hp or feel up to doing the tuning yourself you're way better off just going back to the stock intake. Keep in mind, no matter what you do to the engine, you've still got a mild steel frame with a moderately long wheelbase and relaxed suspension. If you really need to go faster, get either a bigger bike or a lighter one.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Krey
                            I have full exhuast and pods and I couldnt do it. I consider myself a pretty compitent mechanic and I couldnt get it perfectly tuned. I ended up taking it to a shop with a Dyno and a five gas anaylzer. Well worth the money though.
                            Originally posted by arsenic
                            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Sounds like people are mixing up :
                              1) K&N pod filters
                              2) K&N drop in filter.

K&N pods are hard/impossible to dial in for reasons already stated.
                              K&N drop in filter hard to dial in, I think it is possible. I thought that dynojet kit was designed with the K&N drop in filter in mind. I used this combo for years. Then again, I never got it just right and it is off the bike.
                              Dale over Holeshot has a jet kit that works with a K&N filter. Then again, he's Dale and a tuning god.
                              As for the K&N drop in, I modded mine and might one day try it out to see if it works. The mod was to take a rubber carb boot, stick it through a rubber donut in the filter. It will act as a sort of velocity stack to reduce turbulence. I have a brand new Suzuki filter in there, but one day if i get even more bored than the day I did the mod, I'll drop it in and give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X