X

O'Reilly's synthetic oil,anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Reilly's synthetic oil,anyone?

Don't laugh, they are having a sale where you get 5 qts and a Mobil 1 filter for $18. It also comes in 10-40 and 20-50w viscosities. I just got back from Kragen and got five qts for my '96 Impala SS, but was wondering if it might be worth getting some of their 10-40 or 20-50w.
    Here's one paste from their site:"
    "
    Question: Who makes O'Reilly's brand of oil?
    Answer: O'Reilly's brand of oil is manufactured and packaged by Omni Specialty Packaging. Omni is an independent lubricant manufacturer in Shreveport, LA. While Omni is not affiliated with any "major" manufacturer, we do buy our base oils from companies like Exxon/Mobil and Shell."

and another:

"O’Reilly Synthetic Motor Oil meets requirements of API SM service category and is available in
    viscosity grades: 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and 20w50. O’Reilly Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5w20,
    SAE 5w30, SAE10w30 meet or exceed the demanding requirements of International Lubricant
    Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) GF-4. ILSAC GF-4 comprises the latest standard
    for passenger car, van, light truck and sport utility vehicles motor oils. This product is also
    recommended for older engines, which owner’s manual calls for API, SM, SL, SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE
    Service Classifications or any combination thereof. Viscosity recommendations vary according to
    temperature and engine manufacturer.
    Last edited by DClark; 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM.

its funny seeing this posted on differant sites .The cars that call for it will not risk low end stuff ...honda oil is full syn

Comment

Switched back to dino oil about 7K miles ago after synthetic started to leak out in a few places. I had been using Mobile 1 for about 2 years. Switched back to 15-40 Rotella and magically the oozing oil completely stopped. I commute about 450 miles to work each week and the iol changes were costing too much money.

Comment

Amsoil and Redline also buy their base stocks from Exxon/Mobil as do 75% of the oil companies. They did not get that big on thier own.
        Thats why I laugh at people when they will use one oil but not the next even though their products were all from the same company to begin with.
        the difference is some companies like Royal purple, Motul, Amsoil, and Redline etc take their oils to the next level, where the others dilute their products with mineral oil and other products for bigger profits.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Years ago ( I think 10 maybe) I saw some Pepboys brand 20-50w synthetic oil on the shelf. Who makes this? So I spent an hour on the phone trying to find out.
          It was acutally kind of fun as each person I talked to didn't know, but would pass me on to another person at corporate who didn't know, then pass me on, and on...
          Finally, I was transferred to a guy in charge of procurement. I asked him who made their synth oil and without hesitation, he said "Quaker State". I don't know if they still do as Warren now does a lot fo private label stuff. They also have had some problems with the FTC for selling oil that was not the viscosity as what was claimed.

Comment

Working...
          X