94 kat 600, too much fuel at 7k ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 kat 600, too much fuel at 7k ?

- 94 gsx600f -

Ok, this thing is gurgling something awful at 7k and just won't really get past it. I did find out that there is suppose to be some rubber plugs in the slow jets tubes (that are not there) and I will have to go through these carbs again to try and get things straightened out once and for all.
    where do you get these plugs? and are they just solid plugs or are they restrictors with a tiny hole in them?

I will have to fix the petcock also (180 deg out... me) and check the floats again so that they work properly because, it runs on PRI and "cuts off" fuel in ON position... which btw, led me to the fuel issue "too much fuel" (petcock, floats and plugs and maybe needles)... It was in the ON position and when the fuel started to run out, she would rev great to redline and haul buggy for a short time and then just putter out of gas!

It's got a kerker header, stock filter (clean) so, before I go into it again, what is the commonly suggested jets needed for this bike to allow moderate gas milage and "Better" performance? (Fact Pro Kit Ness?)

I really wanted to take it to Bike Night but just couldn't allow it to be seen/heard with these issues... gotta be right before I show it off, ya know!

Thanks for any help on these matters!
    Tomuza
    Williamston SC
    94 Katana 600, 85 V65 Mgana, 07 Yamaha R1,
    90 Taurus SHO, 99 Vdub Beetle

The plugs have to be installed for bike to run properly, and the only place they are available AFAIK is from Suzuki. They are solid also.

Petcock sounds like it needs rebuilt, gas should flow with vacuum applied in the PRI and ON positions.

Factory Pro makes a great jet kit for the Kat.

The Kat Wiki has a page on carb specs for your bike also here.

Part #39 is the little plug, they are $3 each online.

Last edited by Trackerrrr; 04-29-2010, 04:26 AM.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomuza View Post
      - 94 gsx600f -

Ok, this thing is gurgling something awful at 7k and just won't really get past it. I did find out that there is suppose to be some rubber plugs in the slow jets tubes (that are not there) and I will have to go through these carbs again to try and get things straightened out once and for all.
      where do you get these plugs? and are they just solid plugs or are they restrictors with a tiny hole in them?
      Yes, you need them. It regulates the flow of fuel on the pilot jets for your bike to prevent higher vacuums from pulling too much fuel from them at the higher rpms. Dealers, or online OEM sources. They are not very expensive, probably less than $15 for all 4.

I will have to fix the petcock also (180 deg out... me) and check the floats again so that they work properly because, it runs on PRI and "cuts off" fuel in ON position... which btw, led me to the fuel issue "too much fuel" (petcock, floats and plugs and maybe needles)... It was in the ON position and when the fuel started to run out, she would rev great to redline and haul buggy for a short time and then just putter out of gas!
      You have the vacuum line plugged up on the back from the carbs right?

- It's got a kerker header, stock filter (clean) so, before I go into it again, what is the commonly suggested jets needed for this bike to allow moderate gas milage and "Better" performance? (Fact Pro Kit Ness?)
      I prefer Factory Pro, stage 1 is all you need, and you can tune it to the performance and mpg you want.

- I really wanted to take it to Bike Night but just couldn't allow it to be seen/heard with these issues... gotta be right before I show it off, ya know!

Thanks for any help on these matters!
      Which bike night you talking about?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

nice advice thanks 4 the specs!!
        -100% JEDI-

Comment

Booyaaaa!!! Thanks Guys!

Thasnks for the info guys, I never did find the right Diagram. I did have the vac line plugged in and had gas in RES (not enough) and PRI. I'm pretty sure I installed the inner yellow plastic piece with hole 180deg out. I didn't have anything to go by as it was apart when I got it... 50-50 chance huh?

Can you just make your own plugs out of a good solid rubber or will the fuel just eat it up! I really believe the plugs/ petcock are the main problem right now so maybe I'll correct those and wait for the jet kit when my funds are a little better.

The Bike Night is on Wed. evenings at Quaker Steak and Lube (beside Gville Harley Davidson)... lot's of folks there, you can look it up online I think at Quaker Steak's website.

Thanks a ton for the info and advice, I'm learning... just slower in my old age!
          Tomuza
          Williamston SC
          94 Katana 600, 85 V65 Mgana, 07 Yamaha R1,
          90 Taurus SHO, 99 Vdub Beetle

Comment

Working...
          X