Never neglect your friend Loctite!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never neglect your friend Loctite!

So...
    in my haste of putting the kat back together on Saturday, I totally forgot to loctite the bolts on my front fender.

I ran out the door on Sunday to go for my first out of town trip of the season... and forgot to put everything back under my seat (zip-ties, tools, etc).
    I went with a group of friends out to Elbow Falls (about 70kms out of town) and when we were getting ready to head back into town, I noticed that the front fender was moving... freely.
    So, upon closer inspection, there was only one of four bolts still attached to the fender. The others, I'm sure, I spat up behind me along the way.
    Thankfully, another friend had some cheap zip-ties. The boys doubled up on the ties and we were on our way back to the city.
    I hit a Texas Gate (bovine gate) and it blew the ties off. I limped her back into a small town along the way, and used some coated fishing line to tie it back on.
    Thankfully that held long enough to get back into the city.
    Another friend followed me home in his cage just to make sure I didn't kill myself along the way. When we got there, we inspected, and the last bolt had fallen out... so the fender had been riding on the tire on the one side.

Lesson learned: always loctite your bolts, and make sure that you have your 'in-case-sh!t-happens' kit with you at all times.

Learn from my mistakes, folks =)
    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

sounds like an experience. Thank you for the lesson. I'll take heed to it.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

Comment

The fender shouldn't need loc-tite
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        The fender shouldn't need loc-tite
        lol well... tell that to the bolts somewhere along highway 2....
        the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
        # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

Could be 1 of 2 things....... Either you didn't apply enough torque to the screws when putting it back together, or you were running the engine in a range where the resonance vibrated the bolts loose. Maybe also check your front tire for balance just to eliminate that possibility.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Glad it worked out for you in the end! That would have sucked to lose that fender down the highway somewhere.

I think I remember another member had that happen to him this year. (The guy with the bumblebee-inspired 98+ - Can't remember his name now)

Comment

i don't know if it's possible to lose the fender with the tire on... unless it came off in pieces... lol which would have uber-sucked, considering i *just* effing painted it
              # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING

Comment

LOL, Live and learn.

Comment

With a Buell and a KLR, if I remove a fastener, I put Loctite on it. End of story. They are both equally capable of rattling some of the strangest fasteners out.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Well, it's a well known fact that Loctite was invented by Harley owners frustrated by losing half their bikes 2 blocks from home
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Well, it's a well known fact that Loctite was invented by Harley owners frustrated by losing half their bikes 2 blocks from home
                      LOL!!!
                      Godspeed
                      CSBA #1167
                      Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Thankfully s**t DIDNT happen and you are still ok!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X