Sluggish

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish

Hey guys,

I just got the Kat last week and i already know the carbs need cleaned. I was out riding today and it runs great when im going but when i come to a stop thats when she stalls. So thats why I need the carb clean. About 5 miles from home after putting on about 85 miles it started acting a little sluggish. When i would crack the throttle it would act as if it was not getting enough gas or somthing. would this go along with needing the carbs cleaned? It ran fine up until like I said about 5 miles from home.

Thanks

My first solution is to always check the carbs to make sure they're cleaned out but what you describe could also be a vacuum issue. A vacuum line controls the delivery of fuel through the petcock so if the petcock isn't getting the proper vacuum, then it won't send as much fuel.

Make this your checklist:
    - Carbs cleaned and floats OK
    - Petcock working
    - No leaks in the vacuum line
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
      My first solution is to always check the carbs to make sure they're cleaned out but what you describe could also be a vacuum issue. A vacuum line controls the delivery of fuel through the petcock so if the petcock isn't getting the proper vacuum, then it won't send as much fuel.

Make this your checklist:
      - Carbs cleaned and floats OK
      - Petcock working
      - No leaks in the vacuum line
      Ok thanks I will check those things

Comment

I'm glad you shared this with us Red, I'm having a sluggish issue as well. I thought it was my carbs as well but I guess it might be the vacuum line. Good to know
        Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

Comment

I'd clean the carbs first, then see if it still does it.

Comment

I got a can of Sea Foam and put some in. Cleared the issue up. Im still going to go get the carbs cleaned though.

Comment

Im having the same problems Im getting my carbs cleaned, then synced, & a Ivans jet kit put in. Also changing all the fuel lines & any carb air lines as well. Spark plugs, floats & airfilter already checked & all that seems to be OK. Plan O plan on getting all the work done @ the same time. So after all this is done Im expecting to be able to accelerate to 140 mph like I used to las year when I got the bike. Its a 2000 Katan 600, my first bike & I fell in love. Thank for all the info

Comment

Originally posted by Redeemed 1 View Post
                I got a can of Sea Foam and put some in. Cleared the issue up. Im still going to go get the carbs cleaned though.

A WHOLE can?

Comment

I thought being sluggish was just a trait of the Katana? hmm who knew....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
                    A WHOLE can?
                    LOL Sorry no not a whole can. I put in the suggested amount.

Comment

Working...
                    X