No announcement yet.
X

FINALLY...Kat back to commuting duty..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY...Kat back to commuting duty..

Thrashed Monday night and last night was it's shakedown cruise...

A few things:

- Couldn't find my overpants I wear. They are fleeced line nylon pants I wear over pants to break the wind. So had to break out the longjohns. Guess that's an excuse to buy some riding pants huh?

- Had not torqued the rear axle nut...it was snug enough. But after the initial break in cruise, I was going to adjust the chain accordingly anyway...so adjusted the chain tension, torqued the axle down. All's well that ends well...I guess...

- Several loose fairing bolts, took care of that.

- Went to shift into 2nd gear the first time and had lots of trouble. That tends to happen when you install the shifter assembly too far up....I guess if I had size 18's instead of 12's it would have worked. Popped the assembly off last night and adjusted / good to go..

Other than that..good to go.

The new SV mirrors look much better than the stockers, in my opinion, and they allow me too see much easier....even with one bolt ( I used loctite and lock washers) they didn't budge an inch, and they don't vibrate any, even at 75mph +...

With the change to 15/47 (versus the original 14/46) AND the addition of the Ivan's jet kit..the bike is MUCH Smoother at highway speeds, and is actually turning a few less RPM at 70mph which is good...

Didn't get real aggressive last night or this morning, since the front Z6 tire is brand new and still a bit shiny.

Heck, the parking garage gate even opened this morning when I scanned my card. Normally on the Kat I have to swipe my card, then ride around holding the gate up with my LH while getting the bike around / under.

Got it parked...and did a walk around. No bolts missing,nothing hanging off, and it appears everything is still where it's supposed to be...all good signs

Some quick cell phone pics I snapped.

A view of the mirrors:

Looking good!

I better get my butt in gear..

Comment

looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Looking good!

I better get my butt in gear..
        Yeah, quick like before your season is over up there
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I like those mirrors! Where did you get them?
          sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
          1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
          2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
          First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
          Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Whatever the crap is they put on new chains in the package...that's some NASTY stuff. Thought I had most of it off....think again.

Spent time last night with cleaner and a tootbrush getting that crap out of the chain.....

Comment

i thought that was like a pre oil or lube is it bad? i just did mine chain 50 miles ago and havent auctually oiled it cauz i thought thats was what that stuff was for.

Comment

That's just packing grease... to keep it from getting rusty in the plastic bag.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  That's just packing grease... to keep it from getting rusty in the plastic bag.
                  It must be like ATF....you spill 5 drops and it covers the shop floor. This stuff is nasty. I'm going to soak the chain again when I get home today while the chain is still warm.

Comment

I like the mirrors, where did you pick them up

Comment

They are SV mirrors. I got them off of Ebay. If you search for my name and "mirrors" you'll see the thread where I go through all the options that people have tried on the pre 98 for different mirrors.

They do take some modification:

You need to grind one side of the mirror base down to let it fit the pre 98 mirror pocket on the fairing, and I only used one bolt. I used lock washers and they don't shake, vibrate or move at all.

I'll take a better pic soon.

Comment

Thanks!
                        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                        X