X

speed problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed problems

So, I was riding with a group of people and I was noticing I couldn't keep up with them when taking off and at speed. When I got to 90mph and started giving it more throttle I got not response from the engine. no matter if it was a little throttle or wide open. I was thinking carburator needed to be cleaned/rubuilt? any ideas? Really no other problems though.
    Don't be like the leader you have, be the one you know you should be!

sigpic

fuel delivery issue (petcock or filter)
    carbs
    vacuum leak

those would be my first ideas

you could do a plug chop...
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Um... what gear, rpms are you talking about, and vs what other bikes?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

more info needed! I also wonder how the bike would act if you where in 4 gear and then snaped the gas wide open and see if it chuggs or acts like it running out of gas, if it did i would check the fuel delivery system.

Comment

with other 600s to 1200. a couple of cbr 1000 a busa a couple of ninjas. I know mine will never have the power the bigger bikes have but something didn't quite seem right as it has before when I was with them. As far as gears from 5th up it started giving hesitation. 4th seemed fine. but at 90 it started acting up like no matter what I did with the throttle, no difference in performance. I was geting to about 7-8 rpm before I changed gears. should I wait till I get higher? Just a note I usually don't run this fast just trying to keep up with the group.

also recently got new chain and sprockets but i don't think it would make a difference since i went with the same sizes as before
          Last edited by medicrider; 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by medicrider View Post
            with other 600s to 1200. a couple of cbr 1000 a busa a couple of ninjas. I know mine will never have the power the bigger bikes have but something didn't quite seem right as it has before when I was with them. As far as gears from 5th up it started giving hesitation. 4th seemed fine. but at 90 it started acting up like no matter what I did with the throttle, no difference in performance. I was geting to about 7-8 rpm before I changed gears. should I wait till I get higher? Just a note I usually don't run this fast just trying to keep up with the group.

also recently got new chain and sprockets but i don't think it would make a difference since i went with the same sizes as before
            8.5k is just when you actually hit the power range... anything less than that is just cruising...

Yes, wait longer before shifting.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

tried shifting at higher rpms still same result, but I did get there faster. I think I'm going to try the fuel filter, cleaning the carb out and see what happens. if not I guess it will be going to the shop.

sigpic

Comment

What is the status on the air filter - is it stock or something else? If it is stock, when was the last time it was changed?
                "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

I'm new to this bike, but any gear I snap to 90+ and it wants to keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipster View Post
                    What is the status on the air filter - is it stock or something else? If it is stock, when was the last time it was changed?

as far as I know it's stock. I just got this last winter. I'm planning a change filters (air,oil,fuel) getting the carbs cleaned out and start from new as much as I can and see what that does for it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X