X

Question about repacking a muffler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about repacking a muffler

My kerker canister needs to be repacked. The end cap comes off easily, so getting the stuff in is not a problem. Here are my questions:
    1) The muffler originally came packed with fiberglass- can I repack it with steel wool instead?
    2) How tight should I pack it? Should is pack it loosely or should I cram as much material as possible?

Originally posted by DClark View Post
    My kerker canister needs to be repacked. The end cap comes off easily, so getting the stuff in is not a problem. Here are my questions:
    1) The muffler originally came packed with fiberglass- can I repack it with steel wool instead?
    2) How tight should I pack it? Should is pack it loosely or should I cram as much material as possible?
    Ive never repacked a muffler with steel wool, but I know some mufflers come already packed with steel packing, so I dont know why it wouldnt work. The tighter you pack the packing the quieter it will be, its mainly your choice.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

you can wrap the baffle with steel wool but you still need to wrap it with fiberglass as well.
      the steel wool is used to help the glass from being blow out.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Yeah, I want this muffler as quiet as possible, so i guess I'll pack it as tight as possible.

Comment

What about something like this? http://www.powersports360.com/eshopp...056_f0312_1810
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i am going to be repacking my yosh rs-3 and i am just going to use steel wool and fiberglass. nothin crazy!

Comment

Yoshimura has a nice video on their site showing how to repack their cans. One tip that'd apply to any brand can was to wrap masking tape around everything and then use safety wire to compress the wrapping to make it easier to get back together. By taping the insulation together you can get the wire back out before sealing everything up.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I saw that video. Originally, I was going to just shove more fiberglass into the cannister, replace the end cap and call it a day. Now, I guess I'll see if I can remove the baffle and do it like they did in the video.
                After all the searching I did on the 'net, I will:
                1) Wrap baffle with one or two layers of steel wool.
                2) Wrap that with multiple layers of fiber glass, real tight
                3)Tie it up with cotton string- this will help get it bag in the cannister and the string will burn off.

Comment

Working...
                X