X

newer tail on older katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newer tail on older katana

has anyone put a 03 or newer tail on at 02 orolder katana i have a 99 katana and wanna out a newer style tail on mine so i can use the newer tail lights

Use the search im sure theres a how to in there plus thats a popular swap here And Welcome to KR

Comment

I think you need the 03+ tail plastic, tail light, tail light bracket, tail light wiring connector, and seat lock.
      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
      90 GSXR 750/1216
      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
      sigpic

Comment

i am in the middle of doing that right now. 02 600 to a 03 tail, with intergrated lights. body isnt here yet. you will need one other part to the other posts and that is this. it goes under the tail light
        Attached Files

Comment

I have looked at the how to several times but now that I'm in the middle of the swap I cant find the post. Anyone have a link to it? Trying to find out how to make the stock seat lock cable work, someone used the same one by turning something around or something.

Hawkeye, what is that bracket called and how much was it? I may have to make one out of aluminum since I'm almost ready for it. Anyone not use this under taillight bracket?

Comment

Krunch,

I just did the swap. Thus far, I used an 03 underseat tray, 03 lock (just swapped the cable), and went to an integrated tail light. Depending on if you eliminate the fender...the mods vary from there (license bracket, etc.)
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks misskitty. I don't have the 03+ undertray. Will probably find some way to make the old one work. I finally found the thread I was looking for, here is the link incase someone else needs it. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57644 I think it was post #29 that concerned using the same lock cable. Not sure if I follow it completely or not. Have to check it out tomorrow.

Comment

would anyone happin to have an 03+ tail for sale

Comment

cant rember what its called.. but its only likw $10 -20 on ebay

::edit::
                  Last edited by hawkeye34428; 03-16-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

How have you guys been handling the new tail light? I have the old bumblebee tail, and am replacing with an integrated 03 style taillight, but my wiring harness is different. I am concerned about putting too much juice and needing to put in some custom resistors.

What has the experiance been here?
                    PS) I got a full kit off eBay for 500 bucks, and so far... so good! =)

Comment

just finished last night with a china body. 02 600 to a 03 body. 2 holes in body where there is no ajoining hole or stud, they are on the lower fairing. i am still waiting on my lower tail fairing (the bowtie). One of those fender eleminator packages would work instead of bow tie. I am definitly going to have to buy that light bracket too after looking where they have to mount at. ill post pics latter after work.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye34428 View Post
                        just finished last night with a china body. 02 600 to a 03 body. 2 holes in body where there is no ajoining hole or stud, they are on the lower fairing. i am still waiting on my lower tail fairing (the bowtie). One of those fender eleminator packages would work instead of bow tie. I am definitly going to have to buy that light bracket too after looking where they have to mount at. ill post pics latter after work.
                        when I cut off my rear fender, that's the piece (holes) I used to mount my plate/signal bracket to.
                        Picture 009.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

in all it cost me $2.00 from Home Depot
                        The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

oh i got my plate mounted... just not my tail light. and i am waiting on my latch cable too.. i got one from a 98 gsxr 750.. its nice and long.

figured out away to mount this tail light with old bracket, rather easy once i saw it. she is all done and even when for a quick ride tonight
                          first pic is how i moded the bracket. have to spread the holes to mount the light. and then secound pic u have to bend inner tabs over they should be pointing down stock. and yes i know my light is offset.. but this is only till the bracket i bought comes in. ohh and i put a safety line on my light incase it falls off!!

and for wireing it in.. its not a problem. the only thing is it will blink fast like a bulb is out thats all. and now its time to ride!!!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by hawkeye34428; 03-18-2010, 07:47 PM. Reason: adding pics . at home now

Comment

Working...
                          X