X

Finally going to buy a katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally going to buy a katana

Well, I posted here last year about a katana I was looking at, but I never bought it. Now warm weather is coming here in ohio, and I'm definitely looking to buy a katana 600, pre 98. So heres my questions: Anything specific with these bikes I should ask the owner before buying? Do these bikes have anything that usually goes wrong with them? What should I look for while inspecting the bike?

Anybody from NE Ohio want to come with me and inspect a bike, somebody who knows a lot about these bikes? If not, I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I do all the work on my car, and did all the work on my last bike (1982 Honda Ascot FT500, great bike, but a p.o.s. )

Anything else I should know is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jacob.

The only "major" thing for the pre-98 is the condition of 2nd gear. Some pre 98's had a problem with 2nd gear going out.

Other than that, this is one of the best lists I've seen, and of course CP wrote it:

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Good Luck...

Comment

you can never go wrong with a kat good luck with the hunt. I know Harding Park Cycle has a few in stock and for a nice price. here's a link to the Kats http://www.parkcycle.com/pre_owned_l...ubmit_form.y=0

Comment

Thanks for the link Wildside, but I'm definitely not looking for a post 98 katana, I think theyre ugly. Anywhere else around here have used kats besides craigslist? It'd be great if I could find a place with a pre 98 that would let me make payments monthly. I have a good job, 40hrs a week, so money over a long period is no problem. I might have to take a loan out.

BTW, I was in massilon today, buying a guitar off of craigslist.
        Last edited by jacob.; 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM.

Comment

If the bike is older be sure its in real good shape or pass . No one wants a ton of things going wrong ..A newer -post- kat with low miles are bitchin ,and look for scheleded maintanice at 20,000 miles . with older bikes little things go wrong all the time .

Comment

I'm prepared for things to go wrong. I bought my last motorcycle, a 1982 and fixed all its problems. I bought a 1987 vanagon last summer, been fixing that is it continuously breaks. I expect problems with older vehicles, and I accept them, and take on the challenge. I'll probably buy a pre 98, rebuild and clean the brakes, change all the fluids, maybe clean and synch the carbs if it needs it and go from there.

EDIT: ya know, i take back what I said. The post 98's aren't ugly at all. I'd only ever seen a few pictures of them, but I just went on youtube and looked up some videos of some newer ones, and they're still damn good looking bikes. I emailed whoever answers the emails on that website about this one: http://www.parkcycle.com/new_vehicle...=965451#detail

If they allow monthly payments, I might go take a look and test ride it.
            Last edited by jacob.; 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob. View Post
              The post 98's aren't ugly at all.
              You're out of your mind.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

They have nothing on the pre 98's, but theyre not that bad looking. Still a nice looking bike, upon further inspection.

Comment

I'd consider selling my "pre" if the price were right. From past experience, I know that a "spare" is always a good thing during riding season.
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

One thing to remember also is that post Kat's are quite a bit heavier than the pre's too, and have engines that were tuned differently (not as much peak power, but more low rpm torque).
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                      One thing to remember also is that post Kat's are quite a bit heavier than the pre's too, and have engines that were tuned differently (not as much peak power, but more low rpm torque).
                      And big bubble gum fairings. Don't forget those!

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

How much heavier and how much of a power difference is there from the 600 to the 750. I have 1 summers worth of riding a 500, and I'm a pretty big guy (just under 6"2 and almost 185lbs.). I don't like daredevil ****, like wheelies and going fast, I ride defensively always safe, atgatt. Would I be able to handle the 750. Just trying to figure some things out. This is all assuming I buy a post 98. Say, a 2006 750.

Also, I like the fact that its heavier, as I plan on doing a lot of day trips and weekend trips. Heavier = more stable on the highway.

Comment

-cough cough- lets keep it civil in here about the post 98's. A guy on a CBR this last weekend actually asked me what year my CBR was... I was on my ugly 98+.
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                            -cough cough- lets keep it civil in here about the post 98's. A guy on a CBR this last weekend actually asked me what year my CBR was... I was on my ugly 98+.
                            Yours doesnt count. You have the hottest ugly girl ever

It's a matter of taste is all, there are pre guys and post guys.

Your katana and speedee's have always been my favorites.

Comment

I haven't seen speedee on here in some time. And its funny you mention him because I came across someone selling their 1127 (maybe B12) engine out of their Kat. It was red and had a butt load of chrome on it - made me think it was speedee
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X