No announcement yet.
X

Cylinder head ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Why do I even care? Ive got a B12 now....)
    Last edited by HemiKat; 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      (Why do I even care? Ive got a B12 now....)
      Because a dot head + a b12 + gsxr cams = OMFG!
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Because a dot head + a b12 + gsxr cams = OMFG!
        Ill let MD86 do that one. I never used my 750 to its full potential so Im thinking Ill probaly kill myself with the B12 anyways.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
          Ill let MD86 do that one. I never used my 750 to its full potential so Im thinking Ill probaly kill myself with the B12 anyways.
          Stop being such a wussy..... you NEED 130+ rwhp, admit it!
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

L&L, you keep mentioning grey painted heads, but every GSX-R pic and broshure I've found online from 85-91 clearly shows the entire engines are black not grey. Wazzup with that? lol
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
              L&L, you keep mentioning grey painted heads, but every GSX-R pic and broshure I've found online from 85-91 clearly shows the entire engines are black not grey. Wazzup with that? lol
              I owned one, they are gray, whether or not they look that way in pictures. Mine was an 86, btw. It's not like a silvery-gray.... it's dark grey, but the kat engines are BLACK.

Here.... compare......

86 GSXR engine- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item563737f247

Katana engine - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Su...item1e5a88255c
              Last edited by loudnlow7484; 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I owned one, they are gray, whether or not they look that way in pictures. Mine was an 86, btw. It's not like a silvery-gray.... it's dark grey, but the kat engines are BLACK.

Here.... compare......

86 GSXR engine- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-...item563737f247

Katana engine - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Su...item1e5a88255c
                that gixer engine is surely well weathered but I do agree that the 1985 -1987 gixer engines were a dull black or dark grey!
                I also agree about a S-1 head on a 1127/1200, but the 1127 dyno's at 130 already so 140-150 with the S-1 head and better cams.
                most guys that do the S-1 on a 600 also go with the big bore kit so clearance is no issue.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

That 86 head looks like mine.
                  John,
                  sigpic

Comment

I was wondering why mine would never shine up like all the other katanas I have seen
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                      that gixer engine is surely well weathered but I do agree that the 1985 -1987 gixer engines were a dull black or dark grey!
                      I also agree about a S-1 head on a 1127/1200, but the 1127 dyno's at 130 already so 140-150 with the S-1 head and better cams.
                      most guys that do the S-1 on a 600 also go with the big bore kit so clearance is no issue.
                      130 rwhp on a stock 1127 sounds optimistic.

I think we've had this dyno vs dyno conversation before........ Each one is different. Dale Walker puts a stock B12 at 100hp on a Dynojet 150. He puts them at 120hp with pods, a full exhaust, and jetting. Given that math, I'd say 130-135 would be reasonable with a dot head and decent cams. The 1127 already has good cams from the factory, so it should put out more than a B12 box stock, but not 30hp worth!

Granted, Dale Walker's dyno is a touch more conservative than most, as I don't believe he uses "corrected" numbers. The numbers he uses are what the bike actually puts to the ground. For example, Sport Rider dynoed an 05 GSXR1000 at 162, while Dale Walker dynoed it at 153. Sport Rider uses "corrected" numbers to account for atmospheric conditions. The bike never actually put down 162 rwhp, they just believe it COULD under perfect conditions.

Sorry for ranting..... I have a bone to pick about dynos, I guess. That's why I prefer the track to really get hard numbers. There is no variance in timing lights.

I'm assuming you have the katana CV carbs? If you pull them off the head, and look into the boot, you can tell. Because the 86-87 GSXR came with smaller carbs and ports, the CV carb boots won't flow smoothly into the head. There will either be a ridge where they meet, or there will be obvious port work done to it to make them meet smoothly.

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                      BTW- the 88-89's are gray too. I actually first noticed the difference because a coworker of mine rode a 1989 GSXR750, and I noticed it on his bike. I don't have any idea about the 90-92 models, though. I've never seen one up close enough to notice.

here's an example- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...item335aa76d5c
                      Last edited by loudnlow7484; 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The intake ports look untouched, but are slightly larger than the 600 intake manifold ID.
                        John,
                        sigpic

Comment

The intake ports look untouched, but are slightly larger than the 600 intake manifold ID.
                          Hmmm..... Larger ports, you say? Well, if you say this would have been done around 90-91, it could well have been a 90-91 750 head, though it would have been pricey at the time (but if it was somebody serious about performance, it was the best long-stroke 750 head ever made, so maybe).

Does it feel a lot faster than a 600 should be? Like 65hp vs 100 hp?

Comment

I ran into the original owner a month after I bought the bike from a local stealership, and he claimed when he was racing it at mid Ohio he had a friend that worked for Team Suzuki. He claimed his friend took the engine in to work and it dyno'd 80hp stock, then after modding (shaved head, supposedly race cams, jetting) supposedly it hit 105hp on the same dyno. He claimed the head was ported, but looking inside now with the engine out of the bike that doesn't appear to be true, just a head swap, and likely different cams of some type. It does seem to run a lot stronger than any other 600 Kat I've seen. I can hang side by side with a friends 03 R6 from around 60mph to 130mph or so before he finally pulls away from me, and we are about the same weight.
                            John,
                            sigpic

Comment

130 rwhp on a stock 1127 sounds optimistic.
                              That's the number I've seen from a few different sources , http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...r1100%2090.htm actually has it listed HIGHER than that (the 40mm carbs seem to make for almost 10hp over the 36mm equipped bike) , and one site that had comparos of the stock GSXR vs his modified bandit . Not that I've been looking around getting ideas or anything ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                                That's the number I've seen from a few different sources , http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...r1100%2090.htm actually has it listed HIGHER than that (the 40mm carbs seem to make for almost 10hp over the 36mm equipped bike) , and one site that had comparos of the stock GSXR vs his modified bandit . Not that I've been looking around getting ideas or anything ...
                                I have seen the GSXR listed at 149hp all over the place, stock. The Katana 136 hp, stock. That is the GSXR 1127 engine!
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                                X