No announcement yet.
X

who's fault????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the mental adjustments you have to make about riding a bike is getting out of the habit of "get in and go". A car has enough margin of safety that you can be distracted, a bike doesn't.

You have to establish a pre and post flight checklist. Nothing crazy, you won't need a micrometer or a torque wrench. Take a look at the bike - any leaks or missing parts? Fluid in the brake master cylinder? Throttle should snap back when turned, Brake lever firm, Clutch lever pull normal, tires look inflated, gas in tank, etc.... then check yourself - laces out of the way, helmet buckled, gloves on, etc. THEN start the bike - again, before you take off check that sidestand is up, etc.

And when you get off check again. I always put the bike in gear, lock the steering, set run switch to off, take out key and then get off. If it is on the side stand I will give it a pull to the rear from the left handlebar to make sure it is seated on the stand - if it is a hot day I will put a crushed soda can under the stand to keep it from sinking into hot pavement. Generally I use the centerstand in parking lots.

Slow down and take your time.
    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
    X