New bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike

=

The CBR has 10k miles and some small scratches on one side the owner said. I'm going to look at it on Saturday probably.

I'm supposed to pay the import tax on it but in two weeks it will be packed up and headed for the states. So the UK will never know it was here and I shouldn't get caught. The only slightly illegal part of this plan is the trip from his house to mine for two reasons. I don't have my endorsement and it won't be registered here.

So what do you guys think? Good deal if I don't get caught?
    Last edited by chrisgreer23; 02-23-2010, 09:00 AM.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

why do you not have your endorsement?
    sigpic
    If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Borrow or rent a truck or trailer to haul it with to avoid problems due to the lack of endorsement and registration maybe?
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

i hate to be the one to tell you... but you just posted "shouldn't get caught" on a publicly accessible internet site.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

we all takes risks at some point, just make sure its worth the cost if you get caught, if not, find a more legal way to transport it and take the steps appropriately to get endorsed, it could save you A LOT of headache, just words from someone who took a few years to grow up a while back

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
            I'm supposed to pay the import tax on it but in two weeks it will be packed up and headed for the states. So the UK will never know it was here and I shouldn't get caught. The only slightly illegal part of this plan is the trip from his house to mine for two reasons. I don't have my endorsement and it won't be registered here.

So what do you guys think? Good deal if I don't get caught?

It's always a good deal if you don't get caught. But the real question is what if you do get caught?

I wouldn't worry so much about the ride to your house (get a truck or trailer) as the import tax stuff.

Customs has very little sense of humor about that kind of thing. The penalties often involve confiscating the bike. And fines.

I'd check with a customs broker or lawyer or even customs themselves (they are usually pretty helpful if you make it clear you want to do things right).

A re-export may mean that the import tax doesn't need to be paid or is less than if it was going to stay (that's purely speculation on my part).

You have to decide if the risk/penalty of getting caught is worth the cost of doing it right.

And you have announced it on a public forum.

Comment

why not just buy a bike when you get to the States?
              Last edited by mreedohio; 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM.
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I don't have my endorsement because South Carolina requires that I get a permit IN PERSON for 180 days and then, again, IN PERSON show up to get my endorsement. I"M OVERSEAS IN THE MILITARY. I can't just go home willy nilly whenever I want. South Carolina can suck my hairy sack. I'm over here protecting THEM and they can't honor the Motorcycle Safety Foundation sponsered cource I passed. I'll be in the states in a month so I'm going to wait to get it then.
                I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                -Unholy m-
                Current project: Un-Katchable
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X