X

What to do with forks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with forks

My forks on my 90 kat are leaking again. I replaced the seals when i bought the bike but did not work. The bushings inside are worn considerrably. Would anyone like to point out what parts i should replace in order to get the forks working properly again.

Originally posted by mxracer1115 View Post
    My forks on my 90 kat are leaking again. I replaced the seals when i bought the bike but did not work. The bushings inside are worn considerrably. Would anyone like to point out what parts i should replace in order to get the forks working properly again.

2 seal sets... oil seal, and dust seal. Prior to replacing them, inspect the fork tubes to ensure they are unscratched, no pitting, and are otherwise in good smooth surface condition all the way around.

If you have rust spot, pits, or anything else that has dmged the tubes... they need to be replaced, or you will not solve this issue.

Oh, and if your doing wheelies.... buy many more oil seals as hard landings will blow them out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Have you ever heard of replacing bushings and other internal parts?

Comment

Not for oil leaks... replacement of other parts would only be needed if the forks were dmged from impact, or performance upgrades... such as swapping the springs for progressive springs.

Should have nothing to do with fork oil leaks.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yes the antistiction or antifriction bushings need replaced if the coating is worn off and now showing copper color. should be 2 per fork.

also replace the copper washer at the bottom where the bolt holds it in.

and make sure you put the oil seals back in correctly.

also like krey says check the condition of the inner tubes, however if there is pitting at the top and good for about 6 inches directly above where it comes out of the outer fork tube, i wouldn't worry about it.

also some $110 racetech springs are always a good choice as well.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

find a set of gsxr forks...... that's what i did. i replaced my seals once then they leaked after only a week! ( no wheelies) so i swapped them out for gsxr forks. but i also found out that something else was wrong with the forks.... a striped screw or something.... (at the bottom) so i had to buy a new fork anyways.
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

The bushings are pretty cheap and easy to replace.
              The bushing for the lower falls right off once you get the slider out.
              (Right? Fork seal, washer bushing,)
              The one on the end of the slider (silver tube) has a split, spread the split and off it comes. There are two in each fork but they are different. It is entirely possible that your bushings are so warn and the forks are so sloppy that they are wearing out the seals. I have some stronger inclinations.
              One is that your installing the fork seals upside down, There should be three ridges in the inner surface of the seal, two king of face one way the third faces the other.
              Like this \ \ / The two ridges point toward the lower, so in this case to the left..
              Follow? The other inclination is that as Krey pointed out you have to have perfect sliders, no nicks, scratches etc. Those need to be handled very carefully.

Comment

Yes I have.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90203
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks for the help and what year GSXR forks, and did the brake calipers line up?

Comment

If you've got forward/backward slop in your forks (with the front wheel off the ground, try to wiggle the forks forwards and back; they shouldn't), then it's time to replace those bushings.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of seals did you use when you replaced them before?
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

if u get a gsxr 94 front end ie; wheels brakes triples and bars. every thing should line up pretty well do some research on it.... it's all here on KR
                      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                      Tony
                      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                        if u get a gsxr 94 front end ie; wheels brakes triples and bars. every thing should line up pretty well do some research on it.... it's all here on KR
                        Did you go with the triple tree as well?
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yep from the steering head bearing forward is gsxr...
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

I used what ever the discount dennis kirk seals that cost 13 dollars. The bushings ar worn down to the copper and the fluid was almost a rusty color. This was not my first time changing fork seals.

Comment

Working...
                            X