What to look out for in Katana 600s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look out for in Katana 600s?

Hi,

I am going to check out a 2000 600 on Saturday, and aside from the basics, is there anything katana 600 specific I should be looking out for? Also, is there anything I should be looking out for on the pre98 600's? (I am considering these as well since they are a little cheaper)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by RyanR; 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM.
    -RyanR
    1999 Katana 600

check the trans for smooth shifting....2nd gear tends to have some issues if it was abused....depending on how the bike was stored/cared for, it may or may not have fuel petcock issues

aside from that, they are pretty much bulletproof really...just buy it intending to do a valve adjustment, oil change, check the air filter(if it's a K&N get rid of it ASAP)

oh yeah, check the fork seals...if the forks are oily, it's may have been wheelied and came down real hard, blowing the fork seals out

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Teddy, weren't the pre's more prone to the 2nd gear problem?

Also, make sure you ask the PO what he has done to it (no sense installing a shift kit/new carb needles/etc if they have already done it).

Comment

I've seen a few posts with a 2nd gear blowout....severe abuse...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          aside from that, they are pretty much bulletproof really...just buy it intending to do a valve adjustment, oil change, check the air filter(if it's a K&N get rid of it ASAP)
          how expensive of a fix is a valve adjustment?

As far as a test ride goes, changing from 1st to 2nd is about all i'll be testing since it's cold and snowy out... Luckily my jacket is built like my columbia ski jacket.

The bikes mechanicals are slightly modded, it has a pipe and a rejet. Other than that, it's just cosmetic stuff; I'm not looking to mess around with the engine anyways.
          -RyanR
          1999 Katana 600

Comment

Valve adjustments are easy on the posts, the pre's use shim type adjusters if I remember correctly.

Comment

Change the oil ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by RyanR View Post
                Hi,

I am going to check out a 2000 600 on Saturday, and aside from the basics, is there anything katana 600 specific I should be looking out for? Also, is there anything I should be looking out for on the pre98 600's? (I am considering these as well since they are a little cheaper)

Thanks in advance

I don't have or know much about the pre's, but here are some things some ppl (pointing at myself on a few of these) neglected to check:

brake discs for wear, master cylinder, chain for sag/rust/proper lube, gauges & turn signals/lights for signs of past humidity, check for the VIN, let it run for a few min til its warm & then take the choke off, make sure it isn't burning oil or running to rich/lean.

I'm sure there are other things that ppl with more mechanical minds than me could tell you, but that's a one-up from the basic lookover many do before buying.

Good luck!
                sigpic
                "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

OK .. here goes .... 2 wheels ... handlebars ... seat ... plastics .. headlights ....
                  Guylaine
                  Try and keep up now

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by RyanR View Post
                      As far as a test ride goes, changing from 1st to 2nd is about all i'll be testing since it's cold and snowy out... Luckily my jacket is built like my columbia ski jacket.
                      When you're in 2nd, chop on and off the gas a few times. If it stays in gear, you're good. If it doesn't, then walk away.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        When you're in 2nd, chop on and off the gas a few times. If it stays in gear, you're good. If it doesn't, then walk away.
                        hopefully the roads are good haha
                        -RyanR
                        1999 Katana 600

Comment

Bought a 99 600 today 11,500 miles and runs/rides perfectly! The plastics are not in the best shape, but they are functional. I plan on replacing them and painting them blue in the future.
                          today...

More, from the ad

Last edited by RyanR; 02-21-2010, 02:05 AM.
                          -RyanR
                          1999 Katana 600

Comment

Grats on the new ride!

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X