X

Did I Screw Up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Screw Up?

I'm in a bit of a quandry. My girlfriend has been wanting to get a bike for a while. I insisted she take the MSF course, and she did. Did great. Spent time on dirt bikes showing her around a bit. When it came time to get a bike, I thought a Katana was a wise choice. We got a used 2006 with a few scratches. I put some new rubber and brake pads on. Checked the bike over, scrubbed in the tires with a couple of canyon runs, the bike is in fine form. In the alley behind the house, we do a couple of dry runs. You know where this is going. Basically a slow speed tip over trying to turn it around in the alley. Problem is she's only 5'3" tall. She's on her tippy toes. I'm thinking this bike might be too big for her weight and height wise. Thinking about shaving the seat, but still not sure that this bike is right just to build her confidence. What do you guys think?

You could lower it a little-that might help

Comment

Shaving the seat is a good way to get some extra clearance for a short rider... and is cheaper than lowering links if you can do the work yourself.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The Kat's weight isn't too bad once you get used to it and especially nice on the highway where weight adds to stability. I was continually amazed by how stable my 2000 Kat750 was even in strong side winds.

The difficulty with the weight, especially for a new rider, is that it's centered high on the frame, at least relative to a cruiser. That said, I dropped my Kat a bunch of times when learning to ride and the fairings actually held up pretty well. The mirrors are cheap to replace, as are the turn signal lenses, and the long production run essentially ensures you'll find replacement parts even when you're traveling. I think you did well. You might want to show her this guide to picking up a fallen bike. http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html
        Last edited by Cale_Kat; 02-14-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The ideal starter motorcycle is a 50 lb bicycle with a 5 HP motor. This is not the Kat and the Kat is not a good starter bike. 1) It has a lot of power for a new rider, even if we are used to this and sometimes wish for more. 2) It is also heavy for a starter bike. That said it is a good interim bike due to its even, predictable throttle response.

Best thing would be to park the Kat, go out and get a used Ninja 250 or similar. Ride it for the first 3-6k miles before switching back to the Kat and selling the true starter bike. Nice thing about those Ninja 250's is they are the universal starter bike and don't easily lose value once they are about 5 years old. You could probably buy one for 1500 today and sell it for 1800 in June.
          Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Yeah...as far as building confidence...I would have to agree with bigfish. Keep the kat (for when she DOES outgrow the ninja, which she will), and then throw the ninja up for sale in the summer.

Comment

I'd tend to agree also, not that it can't be done, but I wish someone had just told me to start with a 250 and work my way up in a year or two. Luckily, while riding I've kept mine rubber-down for 3+ years. Definitely a good tip to teach her how to pick up the bike too. It happens to everyone eventually. Mine was a wind storm, but she still went down. Leverage is everything!
              sigpic
              "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
                The ideal starter motorcycle is a 50 lb bicycle with a 5 HP motor. This is not the Kat and the Kat is not a good starter bike. 1) It has a lot of power for a new rider, even if we are used to this and sometimes wish for more. 2) It is also heavy for a starter bike. That said it is a good interim bike due to its even, predictable throttle response.

Best thing would be to park the Kat, go out and get a used Ninja 250 or similar. Ride it for the first 3-6k miles before switching back to the Kat and selling the true starter bike. Nice thing about those Ninja 250's is they are the universal starter bike and don't easily lose value once they are about 5 years old. You could probably buy one for 1500 today and sell it for 1800 in June.
                100% correct.
                To me, it's a good starter, not to a 5'3" newbie.
                I was out looking at Ninja 250s today. she got on one, was able to touch her toes and move it. Big smiles all around. I think the 250 is the way to go.

Comment

It took me the entire past summer to really build confidence on my Kat. I am 5'0" and have a 2000 Kat 600 that has been lowered 2 inches and I am still on my tippy toes. I have dropped it a few times. Once in a low speed turn (slipped on gravel) I agree that the bike is really heavy but once you get it moving its perfect. And you do get used to the weight after awhile. I was going to drop down to a Ninja 250 but figured I would just let myself grow into the Kat instead.... Best decision I have ever made!!! Thanks to my KR family who helped me stick with it!
                  I'm not short.....I am fun sized!

Comment

you could get a taller girlfreind and keep the bike!!

Comment

Originally posted by zenjim View Post
                      100% correct.
                      To me, it's a good starter, not to a 5'3" newbie.
                      I was out looking at Ninja 250s today. she got on one, was able to touch her toes and move it. Big smiles all around. I think the 250 is the way to go.
                      Definitly think its a better bike choice for a smaller female. I'm 5'11" and my I had to put lowering links on my Kat to make me feel comfortable on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X