X

gas grade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas grade

what grade of fuel is the best for my 2006 Katana?
    i have friends with other brand bikes, even suzuki's and alot of them use 93 octane. i use 87. I this not acceptable?
    also is it good to go to the track and use that 130 octane fuel on occasion?

looking for some input....

thanks

Please use the search bar above as this topic has been discussed 400000000 times.

With that said, welcome to the forum and heres your quick answer. Higher grade gas isnt better, it just has a different combustion stage which reduces knock in higher performance engines (porsche, gsxr, etc.)

Our bikes have a lower compression and were made to run on regular 87 (if thats ur lowest grade out of reg, med, high) You will see no performance increase (sometimes a decrease) and it wont "clean" your engine as most people would like to think.

Have a good one buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
      Please use the search bar above as this topic has been discussed 400000000 times.

With that said, welcome to the forum and heres your quick answer. Higher grade gas isnt better, it just has a different combustion stage which reduces knock in higher performance engines (porsche, gsxr, etc.)

Our bikes have a lower compression and were made to run on regular 87 (if thats ur lowest grade out of reg, med, high) You will see no performance increase (sometimes a decrease) and it wont "clean" your engine as most people would like to think.

Have a good one buddy!
      Nicely done Ed...

Comment

I only run 110 race fuel... my bikes also have a habit of exploding...
        Needs an anger powered jetpack.

Comment

thanks...
          i will work on familiarizing myself with the forum, so that way i can utilze it better.

Comment

Have a good one buddy!
            + 10. Good answer.
            R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Edbean's dead on. Simply put, the higher the octane, the more resistant it is to "pre-mature combustion". Don't we all hate that. But unless you're really running high performance like he said, you won't really see the benefits.

That being said I usually feed my '03 Kat 89 octane, just because I want her to know she's special.
              sigpic
              "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks guys! the most +1s ive ever had in my whole life

Originally posted by clark827 View Post
                Simply put, the higher the octane, the more resistant it is to "pre-mature combustion". Don't we all hate that.
                Thats a funny way to put it haha

Originally posted by sanman View Post
                thanks...
                i will work on familiarizing myself with the forum, so that way i can utilze it better.
                No problem man, we were all knew here once so its understandable. Check out the chat box too for quick answers or directions around the site.
                Last edited by IndyGunner; 02-12-2010, 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Thanks guys! the most +1s ive ever had in my whole life

Thats a funny way to put it haha

No problem man, we were all knew here once so its understandable. Check out the chat box too for quick answers or directions around the site.
                  What I really liked about your answer, Ed, was that you gave him a lot of useful information without making him feel like a douchbag. I HATE when people on other forums tell new people who ask ?'s things like "it's called a F***ing search button!" And then they don't answer the question at all. Much props brother.
                  R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Originally posted by sladecm View Post
                    What I really liked about your answer, Ed, was that you gave him a lot of useful information without making him feel like a douchbag. I HATE when people on other forums tell new people who ask ?'s things like "it's called a F***ing search button!" And then they don't answer the question at all. Much props brother.
                    Yeah I hate people like that too man. Just joined a redtail boa forum and they were complete azzholes over something I dont know much about. Just doin research for my baby and they bit my head off and never answered the question.... and thanks bro

Comment

I always rock the 'premium' with octane boost!!
                      For sale thread Album
                      1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Last summer (in Florida) my bike pinged like crazy on 87 octane. When I would roll away from a stoplight I could hear all four cylinders rattling! So now I run 93 and it does not do it. This was BEFORE I re-jetted it. It was probably just too lean. I guess I will find out this summer.

Comment

i run 89 in mine, not as much pinging

Comment

Working...
                          X