X

Kat Vs GS1000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat Vs GS1000

It makes me sad to even consider this, but I'm thinking of picking up another bike, and I just don't have the space to keep both of them. I'll probably be headed out in the next couple of days to take a look at an old GS1000. It looks like it has seen better days, but it's solid, and a chain-drive model.

Part of me just wants to finish the kat and keep it (or at least finish it and sell it as a whole bike, instead of parting back out what I parted together), but part of me wants to move on to something unfamiliar. It probably doesn't help that I've always had a thing for the big old GS's, but I've always written off the notion as impractical, too old, an even bigger pig than the kat.....

Looking for some brotherly advice here, from some people I've been talking bikes with for far too long.

Of course, it may just be that the GS would end up in project status anyway....... something like this would be nice...........
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Waltari has the ability to make mounting spacers for putting a "modern" B12 engine into those frames....

Just sayin....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Having room for one bike is saw thing indeed. I really want this GS450 to finish as a bobber but I really dont have the time or money to pursue it.

Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

finish the kat and go from there. you're young and have plenty of time for lots more bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          Waltari has the ability to make mounting spacers for putting a "modern" B12 engine into those frames....

Just sayin....
          Yeah, let me know. I worked through a few clearance issues on my 82 and ultimately developed a set that functions well. I was planning on doing a small run of them soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            Having room for one bike is saw thing indeed. I really want this GS450 to finish as a bobber but I really dont have the time or money to pursue it.

It's already hardtailed and everything! Come on..... you have a living room, don't you?
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              It's already hardtailed and everything! Come on..... you have a living room, don't you?
              Wifey said no... so Saturday Im going to go take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
                Yeah, let me know. I worked through a few clearance issues on my 82 and ultimately developed a set that functions well. I was planning on doing a small run of them soon.
                Is the frame that similar between the GS1000 and the Kat? That would definitely keep me with an engine I was more familiar with........ Maybe I'll give the GS a shot, and if I get fed up with the engine, I'll toss it and shove a B12 in it

To be honest, I'd really like to have an XS650.... but it's a Yam... Don't know how I feel about that.

Wifey said no... so Saturday Im going to go take a look at it.
                f'n awesome! If only all the ohio guys lived closer together, we could rent a storage unit to hide all the bikes we don't own......
                Last edited by loudnlow7484; 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post

f'n awesome! If only all the ohio guys lived closer together, we could rent a storage unit to hide all the bikes we don't own......
                  Dont temp me, my parents own a house in Fremont, with a 20x25 shed/garage, not to metion attic storage.... you can squeeze a lot of bikes in there. Too bad its a whole lot closer to you than me!

Comment

Dont temp me, my parents own a house in Fremont,
                    I'm sorry ^ (I used to work in Fremont)
                    with a 20x25 shed/garage, not to metion attic storage.... you can squeeze a lot of bikes in there. Too bad its a whole lot closer to you than me!
                    As a favor, I guess I could stop by every now and then and take your toys out for a spin....... big sacrifice on my part, you know...

Comment

Do a replica... http://vintagesuperbike.com/graphics...000/009_lg.jpg

or

if done right they make good hp numbers.. now if it were a 1150 16v unit i'd be all over it...
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
                        just yesterday i was wondering how u did that. I may be needing your help in about 2 years.... when i finally get to buying an 82 gs1100e.... (so sexy)
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Well, that was interesting. Apparently there was some miscommunication. It's a shaftie, for one thing. That immediately drops it from the "potential kat replacement" list. It's also in full-touring guise with a big ugly fairing and one of those double-butt-bucket seats. I suppose I could still make a neat little bobber out of it, but that would put it in project mode, which is exactly where the kat sits. The only other option is to buy it, and keep it under a cover outside, and just use it to romp around on. Definitely an option, but I get the feeling that funds would be better used to finish the kat. I like it, though. It's a big heavy pig, and I find that fantastic.

On a side note- the seat is much higher than I expected! They don't look too tall in pictures, but it definitely isn't low.

So what do you think? Throw that money at the kat, or get the GS and rock it around while I'm STILL finishing the kat?

Comment

Heres my thoughts:
                            A.) How far away is the Kat for running/ being finished?
                            ---Will soon be spring, and you will need something to ride.
                            B.) How much money does the Kat need to be finished?
                            --- Will the GS put a major cut in the Kat budget?
                            C.) Could you stretch out the Kat build while you ride the GS?

Personally, if the Kat isnt going to be done soon, id buy the GS. If the Kat will be done soon the you will probaly be happy just riding the it. If the build is going to lead into spring or summer. I would personally roll the GS and take my time on the Kat, and maybe get it ready for fall or maybe even next spring. I know for me, the first warm day Id better have a bike to ride, or Im going to freak. My goal is to have a daily rider, and the a project bike. I know space is an issue, so you have to figure out where to store the project bike, or the finished bike. Maybe just ride the GS until you get the Kat done, and the unload it.

Comment

The kat, honestly, could be done whenever I decide it should be. Really, literally, if I dedicated 2-3 days to it, it would be done enough to ride. I just need to finish the wiring, slap the 750 engine in, change the front tire, new chain/sprockets, drop the brake arm off to be cut/welded, I could use some new fork seals, and then flat black the thing out again. That's it. I wanted to do some glass work to the tank, too, but it's not of primary importance. The kat doesn't require much of a budget, but I do have to buy a plane ticket to Brazil sometime soon, so it is a concern. Could I stretch out the kat build? Of course! I've become a master at not finishing it. If one could get paid to not finish a project, I'd be a f'n millionaire!

On the flip side, if I got the GS, I'd want to throw some paint at it, lower it, take that godawful fairing off, add some drag bars....... see where this is going? I think it would be just another project that I refuse to finish. Maybe I'm just trying to get myself over the let-down of it being a shaftie. I should probably just wait, finish the kat, and wait until the right GS comes along to make a project of.

Comment

Working...
                              X