X

Any Bandit 1200 experts out there?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Bandit 1200 experts out there?

So in my searches for a B1200 shock for the Katana, I've decided that along with the shock, I think I want the rest of the bike too. Anybody know what kind of gotchas I might want to watch out for on a 1997 B1200?
    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

Early B12's were oil burners. You can find out more including the VIN ranges at maximum-suzuki.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      Early B12's were oil burners. You can find out more including the VIN ranges at maximum-suzuki.
      According to the official technical bulletin from Suzuki there were a range of Bandit 1200s from 2001 and the beginning of 2002 that had defective pistons sometimes resulting in excessive oil consumption. In late 2002 and with the 2003 model year on, pistons were replaced with the same parts used in 1997-2000 Bandit 1200s to correct the problem.

Comment

Early ^Gen 2 B12's were oil burners then.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I used to have a '97, and it was basically bulletproof until I went mod crazy.

The only issue's I ever had with mine-
          1.) the suspension sucked. Swapping fork fluid, and later swapping the rear shock for a Busa shock was the best thing I ever did....which is why I never quite understood the advantage of replacing the kat shock with a bandit shock.

2.) the overall build quality of the bandits is typically a little cheap. nothing major really, it's a good solid bike, but the cosmetics can be a little sketchy. Mine had badly faded (and thin) burgundy paint, and the plastic was pretty thin.

mechically though, she's solid.

Comment

I just picked up my 05 b12s and am learning a great deal about them. As mentioned above, early gen II's were the oil burners. If you want a naked bike, you can get an older one very cheap and you won't have to worry about any reliability issues unless it's been beat on. If you want the half fairing version, the pre 2001 bandits fairings are......"old" looking. I'm not a fan personally but you can still pick them up very cheaply, just won't look near as good imo. If looking at 2001-2003, makes sure you ask them abuot the oil burning issue and see what they have to say. Other than that, it truly is a bullet proof bike. take a peak at www.maximum-suzuki.com, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge over there!
            -1999 White FRC Corvette
            -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I have had three Bandits.. I picked up a 2001 Bandit 1200S with oil-burner VIN in Oct 2009.
              Put 3600 miles on the bike since I bought it, just drained the oil that I put in the bike when I first bought it, less than 1/8 qt. missing.. more than likely still in the engine since I didn't let it drain for hours.

Yes, www.maximum-suzuki.com is a great resource, but you have to be a member of that site in order to read or post in their forum.
              Last edited by "K"; 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Not an expert but I been around and inside the Bandit. I love my Bandit and I use it for drag only. It would make a great daily rider but I have more fun at the track.

The Gen 1's are great I have a black 98. The stock suspension does suck but you can upgrade to late model gsxr stuff pretty easy. There are tons of used engine parts all over the place for big hp mods. Only thing going to be better is the wild *** Kat that I'm building.

My mods and bike.
                1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

Engine
                ported 30/27 head w/arms,retainers and springs
                V/H cams
                38mm flatslides
                GSXR intake boots
                600 airbox/busa boots
                80mm n2o pistons
                hayabusa rods
                .100 base gasket
                balanced crank
                Akprovic header/can
                msd coils
                Msd mc-4
                Msd shift light

Clutch
                zx14 master
                Gsxr clutch

Suspension
                Front
                Rf900 forks strapped
                8lbs fender
                hayabusa calipers/ebc
                gsxr master cyl.
                dragbars

Rear
                complete hayabusa
                swingarm
                wheel
                brakes/ebc
                03 GSXR 600 shock

05 gsxr 600 rearsets
                07 gsxr pass sets

Vortex 15/50
                Non o-ring chain
                80-90-17 front 200-55-17 rear

All stock body work except the hayabusa turn signals and cut down seat.
                Attached Files

Comment

SO..... eh..... what does it run?
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Best pass was 10.62 @ 134 on a cold track with me at 230# bike 490#. Still working the bugs out. Should get into the 9's. It could go a lot faster but I use it a practice bike short wheel base and foot shift. It's a lot of fun trying to put a lot of power down on short bike. The first 330' can be real interesting.

I'm running in Houston Feb 20 I'm sure I can get 10.2 would like to see a nine. I usually end up over driving and spinning or standing it up. Only have about 20 passes on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X