X

Katana 750 vs. GSXR600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 750 vs. GSXR600

Previously posted regarding the Katana750 vs. the CBR600RR. Thanks for all the responses. Now looking for thoughts on the GSXR600. Internet research indicates it is more street friendly than the CBR. I welcome your thoughts and or suggestions for a more sport oriented street bike than the Katana, but still useable in the "real" world.

Wilson

It's gonna be pretty close to the same, both the CBR and GSXR are designed as race relica bikes. The ergo's will be similar, but not exact, you will still find it a more forward riding position, with the pressure in your lower back and wrists the problem spots untill you get used to riding that way and figure out how to compensate. Power will be similar as will turn in and stability, I have heard stories in favor of both as to which is better, and it will depend on you more than anything which one you like better. Although going from a Kat to a GSXR will keep that brand loyalty... other than that, not a lot of differences that you will really notice in everyday driving. There are a lot of small technical differences that make a difference if you are running trackdays and what have you, but even those need to be adjusted based on the rider.
    Needs an anger powered jetpack.

Comment

If you swapped bodywork between the two bikes, you'd be hard pressed to know the difference between them. All of the 600 race bikes are very, very similar when riding them. Obviously there are mechanical and design differences, but for street use, they do the same thing.

I don't remember which generation of cbr's you were looking at...but the '03-'06 CBR's were about the most comfy of the sport bikes in my opinion. If anything, I think a similar year GSXR would be even less comfy and further from the katana.

Comment

If it were me (which it's not) I would make the jump to the gixxer so fast it would make your head spin. I don't mean to offend anyone but I am not much for honda anything, and I really like the look of the lil'gix. They will both be more powerful and better handling then your katana and the riding position will take a little getting used to but I believe you would love either of the 2. The r6 and r1 are the bikes I would stay away from as they are the most uncomfy of all the sport bike IMO.
        sigpic
        2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
        2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

The GSXR and CBR are both Race replica bikes. They have a more are aggressive seating style for aggressive riding. The CBR is lighter and IMO, handles a lot better then the GSXR. Comfort wise, both are comfortable to me personally. I can’t stand the R6/R1 feel or ride. However, after going from a Katana to a sport bike, it will take you a little while to get used to the seating position on ANY sport bike.

I had nothing but electrical problems with my gix; my speed sensor went out 3 times and also had a short back to my ECU. They are also known to crack frames. However, they do ride good and I have some friends who have not had a problem with theirs at all.

Any street bike is “usable” in the real world. With that being said, like I pointed out in your other thread, if you intend to use the sport bike for a commuter only, then stay with your Katana because it will be a waste of a sportbike. If you plan to expand your riding outside of commuting, to canyons, track, etc. and really want a sport bike, then I say see if you can test ride some.

I prefer the RR, Joe over there prefers the Gix and Frank prefers the R6. Everyone is different and each seating style, handling, performance, etc will be felt different by each individual. It’s hard to purchase a bike off of someone else’s feel for the bike.
          Last edited by Sandman; 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
            I prefer the RR, Joe over there prefers the Gix and Frank prefers the R6. Everyone is different and each seating style, handling, performance, etc will be felt different by each individual. It’s hard to purchase a bike off of someone else’s feel for the bike.
            A very true statement. None of the big four's SS bikes have more than a 2% advantage over any of the others, it's all about what you want and what you like.

You can get a 6R if you wanna go fast...green's the fastest color
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              A very true statement. None of the big four's SS bikes have more than a 2% advantage over any of the others, it's all about what you want and what you like.

You can get a 6R if you wanna go fast...green's the fastest color
              Yeah, I left the Kawi off because the last one I rode was on 05. Not sure how the newer one handles. But they are some quick bikes...

Comment

For what it's worth the RR is an 06. Thanks for the input.

Wilson

Comment

What you want, isnt a new fuel injected SS bike, for a street friendly sportbike, look at a mid-lae 90's CBR600 or 900. the F2/F3 CBR are better choices, since the 900 is commonly stunted and often abused to death.

but an F3 CBR600, is an outstanding street bike.

Comment

<<---- rode this to the Rally and back last year.

Just added helibar tracstar bars and a Corbin. Lower the foot pegs to the bottom mounting hole and a decent double bubble windscreen and it is a comfy little setup.
                    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                    BMC Notorious 918 HT
                    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                      Yeah, I left the Kawi off because the last one I rode was on 05. Not sure how the newer one handles. But they are some quick bikes...
                      The newer ones handle LOADS better. The 636 factory suspension is pretty decent, and gets better when you throw some money at it. But the 07+ 6R is a bit ahead of the earlier models in handling and chassis composure.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've heard good thing about the Triumph Daytona 675 as a "street bike"
                        since it has more mid-range torque than the other 600s.
                        You can ask Soulpatch how he likes his.

Comment

Working...
                        X