X

Katana750 vs. CBR600RR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nero View Post
    The CBR's a lot more civil in ergos than people give them credit for, though it will never match a kat in that category. The power and flickability will be like night and day. It's your choice, but I'd take a long sit on the bike and see if it feels like 'home' before I bought it.
    Ive never sat on any other SS then my 600rr, but i believe it. also they guy i bought it from said he had an r6 that was pretty bad compared to this bike. IMO it gets better over time, when i first sat on it it was bad but now i find it pretty comfy with the exception of all the weight on my wrist
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
      The CBR's a lot more civil in ergos than people give them credit for, though it will never match a kat in that category.
      +1 on both accounts. For me (5'10" 140#) the CBR was by far the most comfortable, with a seat that wasn't half as hard as the others.

The first gen 636 and the later R6 are about the same, a torture rack. Although for anyone over 5'5" an R6 isn't really going to be a good option. I've gotten used to it, and can deal with it for a 6 hr ride through the twists, but on the highway my back and azz are shot after about 2.5-3hrs.

That's why I would not suggest a SS bike for anyone who wants to commute on it...it's just not a smart idea. You wouldn't buy a viper for a grocery getter would you?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

^^ Yes. Yes I would.

That being said, I use my SS bikes to commute all the time, 3-5 hour trips on a regular basis, in the summer. I will ride the three hours back to my hometown once or twice a month and make trips up to KU and KSU to see frined who are still in school there. It's not so bad, I will admit it takes a bit of a toll, but I usually stop every couple of hours to stretch and pee anyway and I'm ready to roll again after about ten minutes.
        Last edited by cannonball; 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM.
        Needs an anger powered jetpack.

Comment

Originally posted by cannonball View Post
          ^^ Yes. Yes I would.

That being said, I use my SS bikes to commute all the time, 3-5 hour trips on a regular basis, in the summer. I will ride the three hours back to my hometown once or twice a month and make trips up to KU and KSU to see frined who are still in school there. It's not so bad, I will admit it takes a bit of a toll, but I usually stop every couple of hours to stretch and pee anyway and I'm ready to roll again after about ten minutes.
          Not saying it can't be done, you can stunt a Katana and you can track a Hayabusa. But buy the right tool for the job

I knew I should have excluded that viper comment...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            +1 on both accounts. For me (5'10" 140#) the CBR was by far the most comfortable, with a seat that wasn't half as hard as the others.

The first gen 636 and the later R6 are about the same, a torture rack. Although for anyone over 5'5" an R6 isn't really going to be a good option. I've gotten used to it, and can deal with it for a 6 hr ride through the twists, but on the highway my back and azz are shot after about 2.5-3hrs.

That's why I would not suggest a SS bike for anyone who wants to commute on it...it's just not a smart idea. You wouldn't buy a viper for a grocery getter would you?
            I've always believed Honda's taken their sport and supersport bike ergos a little more seriously than the other Japanese manufacturers. Even in the 80s, Honda was for ergos, while kawi was in the middle. Suzuki make back-breakers in those categories. If you had an iron-but but wanted more performance, you got a Zook.
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Get the RR...v

Comment

I knew I should have excluded that viper comment...
                Yeah, I mean, any excuse to buy a Viper is a good one as far as I am concerned.
                you are right though, if you are planning for ergonomics and whatnot for different types of riding, different types of bikes are usually preferable. I'll not lie, I used to have an 04 V-Star 1100 and absolutly loved long trips on it, comfy, plenty of oomph, and downright relaxing once I got the forward controls installed. I sometimes miss it when I run a long trip, but I can't argue with the passing power I have on my R1, and I LOVE to pass cars...
                Needs an anger powered jetpack.

Comment

I'm sure the insurance will be a little higher on the cbr. I would keep my Kat for that reason and comfort of the ride. Then again I ride my Kat daily and it's more suited for that. Let us know what you decide.
                  sigpic
                  Navy Vet
                  1998 B12
                  00 GSX 600F(sold)

Comment

Actually the insurance isn't much different at all. Personally, I’m glad I made the switch. I originally got the Kat to get back into riding after not riding for about 10 yrs. After having the Kat for about 4 months, I upgraded to a 05 GSXR. Then I got my baby, 08 CBR600RR. Wouldn’t trade this bike for the world, although I plan on getting a liter bike.

The Kat is a very comfortable ride and although the seating is aggressive on the sport bikes, the RR is very comfortable to me. You will hear people complain about their wrist and too much pressure on it, but I would be willing to bet that those people ride with their elbows locked (gotta be able to do the chicken dance when riding).

If you don’t plan on expanding your riding and will strictly use it as a commuter then don’t get the RR. Yes it can be used as a commuter, I do it. However, IMO I think it would be a waste of a RR, or any sport bike for that matter, to be used strictly as a commuter. Now if you plan on expanding your riding to canyons, twisties, track, etc..then by all means get the RR and never look back.

EDIT: LMFAO!! All this time looking at that pic and I never noticed the little leaf on my windscreen!

Last edited by Sandman; 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

you buddy that is truely a BEAUTIFUL RR i would kill for anything that looked half that nice grats on the bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                        Actually the insurance isn't much different at all. Personally, I’m glad I made the switch. I originally got the Kat to get back into riding after not riding for about 10 yrs. After having the Kat for about 4 months, I upgraded to a 05 GSXR. Then I got my baby, 08 CBR600RR. Wouldn’t trade this bike for the world, although I plan on getting a liter bike.

The Kat is a very comfortable ride and although the seating is aggressive on the sport bikes, the RR is very comfortable to me. You will hear people complain about their wrist and too much pressure on it, but I would be willing to bet that those people ride with their elbows locked (gotta be able to do the chicken dance when riding).

If you don’t plan on expanding your riding and will strictly use it as a commuter then don’t get the RR. Yes it can be used as a commuter, I do it. However, IMO I think it would be a waste of a RR, or any sport bike for that matter, to be used strictly as a commuter. Now if you plan on expanding your riding to canyons, twisties, track, etc..then by all means get the RR and never look back.

EDIT: LMFAO!! All this time looking at that pic and I never noticed the little leaf on my windscreen!

Very, Very Nice
                        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                        X