Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How many bought a Kat because it was a Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got mind because my friend had one. It had great power and rode like a dream. So I found one with 8,000 miles on it. Like New

Comment

• I did absolutely want a katana. I have a katana sword obsession lol that was based off my love of ninjas and samurai, and my love for 90s Japanese drift cars and street bikes kind of helped pave the way. My brother rides a 03 gsxr 750 and my dad rides a 79 gs750 so it kind of fit. I rode a pre 600 of a friend when I was a teen and I loved it, and wanted one ever since... Unfortunately I lost my license when I was like 18, then joined the army and lived in Germany for a few years (wish I would have had a bike then, €3000 m class license lol) so I never got around to getting a motorcycle til just recently. I'm pretty happy with what I got, it needs work here and there which I don't mind doing at all, but nothing major. It's quick and comfy which is exactly what I need.

Comment

• Ok, I confess... I bought mine because it was cheap.. I'm cheap.

I have had my thrills with fancy expensive bikes.

I've owned CBRs, GSXRs, Ninjas, BMWs, Aprilias, KTMs, Triumph, etc.. in the end nothing makes you go faster than skills, you go the skills, even a Ninja 250 can let you pass liter-class sportbikes in the twisties.

Katana is just a rock solid bike, easy to maintain and easy to ride.

Comment

• Price was the reason why I bought mine but I saw it I fell in love with it. Sad to say she's been traded in for a Ducati Monster 1200. The Kat's are great bikes. They do so many things well. I've ridden mine 500+ miles from Florida the the Dragon.
          Last edited by astevens54; 06-26-2014, 05:08 PM.
          2014 Ducati Monster 1200
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

• I bought my first and second one new off the showroom floor because they were so freaking groovy.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

• My first bike was a 96 GS500E ... That thing had so many electrical problems (which is funny because it only has like 5 wires in the entire bike) and no idea how many miles were on the engine (odometer was replaced before i bought it and the speedo and tac didnt work). Rode that bike for a year or so and learned on it (dropped it a couple times and learned what not to do). After it stranded me for the 4th time on my way to work, I left it in a Publix parking lot and never rode it again. I got a friend to truck it back home were it sat on my back porch for a few months while I rebuild it (getting ready to sell it). Decided to check out a local dealership because they had 2 SV650 s (the bike I wanted) and a couple others... Saw my 06 katana and asked the story on it. Owner of the store said the previous owner bought it, rode it and dropped it (minor scuffs on the plastic but not any other visible damage) and never wanted to ride again... Had 800 miles on it... Took a Ninja 500 on a test ride (thing was way to light and under powered) and one of the SV650s (was very nice but didn't like how upright it was) and finally took the Katana on a test ride... bought it right there and then for list with a 3 month warranty. My friend (who rides a CBR1000RR) made fun of me for buying a can-o-tuna. My other friend (who trucked my GS500E back to my house) said it looked like a good buy (he rides a GSXR750).

Fell in love with it from the start... It gives you a bit of an aggressive seat posture, but not uncomfortable like the GSXR on long rides.

About 5 months later, the buddy with the CBR was giving his friend a FAZER that he rebuilt and he was practicing on it in a parking lot. I rode over with the katana and the buddy who called it a can-o-tuna jumped onto it for the hell of it and was really impressed. Was the first time I have ever heard him admit he made a mistake by judging something before trying it.

I have owned it for over 2 years and put a couple thousand miles on it... 2 months after I bought it I started to have some engine problems and I lost power about 2 miles from my house... Was freaking out because I thought it was having the same problem as the GS500E, turns out the fuel line got kinked so it started to starve random cylinders. Thanks to the warranty the dealership replaced all the fuel lines and even did a carb clean for the trouble (just to make sure nothing else was wrong with it). Never regretted the mistake....

Rode the GSXR750 a few months ago for the first time (had to pick up a fuel filter for my bike while it was in pieces and that was the only vehicle around) and am really glad I never bought a GSXR or other supersport... Wasn't crazy about my elbows in my knees and my balls in my stomach.

Comment

• I had a 250 ninja and was ready to move to something bigger, I was looking to get a cbr 600 and drove 100 miles to a town to check it out, I sent a text to the guy who was selling it saying I was at an arbys in his town and just needed the address and he sent back "I just sold it dude" i was so mad, but i pulled up craigs again and looked in my price range, and 60 miles farther was my kat. The guy answered with an english accent(I bought my ninja off of a Brit) and said he was willing to take 16 when he had it listed for 2gs, one test ride later I brought her home and we have been happy together ever since!(97 with 28 k) now 32k! Atless than a year!
                its raining out back in your cage!!

Comment

• Fresh out of my MSF rider course, I was looking for a Ninja 250 because I wanted a sporty bike, and I wanted to be prudent, as was the common consensus for newbie riders. After searching for a couple of weeks (for a few hours each day), I found a couple of them and even test rode one. Then, by chance, I happened upon an ad for my Kat which came in at nearly half of what the cheapest N250 was going for! Figured "what the hell", went to test ride it. She was huge and heavy (compared to my trainer 250 and the Ninja), but she seemed to do fine once I got going. After a couple of days of deliberation (and being a major cheapskate), I brought home the can o' tuna. I owned it for several weeks before I learned that it was a sports touring and not a *true* sports bike. At first, I was a little disappointed in that fact, but over time, came to appreciate her for what she was (especially after one instance where I was entering my third hour of nonstop riding in relative comfort). Had I known what she was, I may have been dissuaded from buying her. In retrospect, that would have been a terrible choice on my part, as I've enjoyed every mile ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravelife View Post
                    When I was 14 I had a DR100 for my first motorcycle. When we would go to the Suzuki dealership there were always nice Katanas in the showroom that I vowed to one day own.

That was the 80s. I just got it last year. FML
                    This is the best part about getting older - the cars I wanted in high school are in my price range now!

Even if I had "F**k you" money, I don't think I would own crazy shit like MVs or a Desmo Sidici...

I would just own a lot more cheap bikes in various sizes, ages, and for different purposes. I think I would make an effort to own 2 of everything, so I have a "B" bike in the event one has an issue, and I have one to consult if I forget how to put something back together!
                    -Chris
                    **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

• Originally posted by rk97 View Post
                      This is the best part about getting older - the cars I wanted in high school are in my price range now!

Even if I had "F**k you" money, I don't think I would own crazy shit like MVs or a Desmo Sidici...

I would just own a lot more cheap bikes in various sizes, ages, and for different purposes. I think I would make an effort to own 2 of everything, so I have a "B" bike in the event one has an issue, and I have one to consult if I forget how to put something back together!
                      I hear you there. Not that I would not like a new bike, there are many I would love to have but I don't turn my head to look at them like I do the older ones.

Comment

• I had a 1981 Yamaha XS400 to start out on. I had this bike for 19 years, but it started to develop some serious problems and I wanted to ride reliably every day. So I started to do some research for a bike with a good reliable record and something below $2,500, the Kat was on my list. I found a 1993 Katana 600 test rode it, felt very different from the Yamaha, but I liked it. I bought it with 21,000 miles in 2011 I now have over 36,000 miles and only have done general maintenance and has run flawlessly.
                        Last edited by SABRE; 06-30-2014, 06:37 PM.
                        1993 GSX600F
                        1981 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• Originally posted by SABRE View Post
                          I had a 1981 Yamaha XS400 to start out on. I had this bike for 19 years, but it started to develop some serious problems and I wanted to ride reliably every day. So I started to do some research for a bike with a good reliable record and something below $2,500, the Kat was on my list. I found a 1993 Katana 600 test rode it, felt very different from the Yamaha, but I liked it. I bought it with 21,000 miles in 2010 I now have over 36,000 miles and only have done general maintenance and has run flawlessly.
                          Looks like you have a pretty nice travel setup too.

Comment

• Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                            Looks like you have a pretty nice travel setup too.
                            I wanted to get some hard bags originally but could not find any to mount easily on the '93. But I found these contour soft bags that have really worked out pretty nice. All 3 bags have zip out areas to expand out for more room when needed, that has come in handy.
                            1993 GSX600F
                            1981 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• I sold my 08 Harley Superglide because I wasn't riding it much. I wanted a bike I could take to the rallies, and ride around town. Bike had to be comfortable and have some power. I found a Katana 750 on clist, and did some research on it. I read that it had a bad rep, but that was mostly from the ss bike riders. I like that its a big heavy bike, with a comfortable sitting position. I bought the bike for 2k, it's a 2000 with only 14000k miles on it. It has brand new Pirelli Diablos, Yoshi RS-3 exhaust, and Suzuki racing wheels. I love it! It runs and sounds great! Just had to get used to the choke, my Harley had EFI. My Harley friends give me shit, but when I blow past them on the highway, the looks on their faces is priceless.

Comment

• There is something priceless blowing past a 1200cc v-twin on a 600 cc sport tourer.

Comment

Working...
                                X