X

750 Kat vs GSX650F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WRONG!!

A watercraft or dirtbike would be a recreational vehicle. For your needs a street bike is just a recreational vehicle. For some of us, it can be and is are main transportation. I ride everyday! And if my truck were to be stolen, I would buy another within a few years. When I lose my bike, I'm feeling a much more urgent need to replace it.

If you ask, could I go without my bike? I'd say yes, and I'd say the same holds true for my car. I can walk or ride my bicycle to work.

Originally posted by Dexter View Post
    That's interesting... my Pre-750 runs best when it's hot.

Personally, if debt and value is a big concern of yours I'd go for the 750. It's less money, it's already depreciated most of it's inflated value and you'll still have a good, solid bike for many years.

In my opinion, people should not be buying recreational vehicles if they can't afford to pay for them outright. If you have to borrow, you shouldn't be getting it. That's just the way I was brought up. I realize that people can't always afford to buy everything outright, such as a house or even a car for transportation... but these things are necessities. A motorcycle is not. It makes me so sad to see people buying fancy things like iPhones and flat screen TV's when they can't afford them and just add to their debt. That philosophy has worked well for me so far.

I'll send a PM to Dave (Astro4x4) as he may have advice based on experience. Someone in his family bought a 650F and he rode it home for her.

Comment

Everything taken into account I'd go for the 750, for half the price it's a no brainer.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I test rode the GSX650F for approx. 12 miles from my local Suzuki Dealer.. honestly, it didn't do much for me, I had put some miles on a 2001 Bandit 600, 2001 Kat 750, even the Gladius seems to have more usable torque than GSX650F..
        I know I'm cheap, between the two, I'd go for a Kat 750.. if you're looking for a bike that could be an even better value, check out a Bandit 600 or 1200.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
          WRONG!!

A watercraft or dirtbike would be a recreational vehicle. For your needs a street bike is just a recreational vehicle. For some of us, it can be and is are main transportation. I ride everyday! And if my truck were to be stolen, I would buy another within a few years. When I lose my bike, I'm feeling a much more urgent need to replace it.

If you ask, could I go without my bike? I'd say yes, and I'd say the same holds true for my car. I can walk or ride my bicycle to work.
          If I lived in California my motorcycle would be my primary form of transportation as well. This guy is from Kitchener (where I just moved from). I can say with certainty that the riding season there is only 6 months at best. When you can only ride for half the year it can't realistically be your primary source of transportation. Motorcycles are recreational up here.

If want to argue the fact that some people can get away with using the bus and don't actually NEED their own vehicle, I won't challenge you... for the most part. Some people REQUIRE a vehicle to live out their day to day lives, and for work sometimes. The fact still remains the same though... If you can't afford a recreational vehicle that you don't actually need, you shouldn't buy one.
          My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Go with the 750. I have a 06' Katana 600 and mototcyclespecs.com showes my bike to be faster than the 10' 650 F . So I say 750 better bang 4 the buck
            Last edited by Blackysheldon; 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM.

Comment

If I lived in California my motorcycle would be my primary form of transportation as well. This guy is from Kitchener (where I just moved from). I can say with certainty that the riding season there is only 6 months at best. When you can only ride for half the year it can't realistically be your primary source of transportation. Motorcycles are recreational up here.

If want to argue the fact that some people can get away with using the bus and don't actually NEED their own vehicle, I won't challenge you... for the most part. Some people REQUIRE a vehicle to live out their day to day lives, and for work sometimes. The fact still remains the same though... If you can't afford a recreational vehicle that you don't actually need, you shouldn't buy one.
              I forgot about those folks that live in hell for half the year.

Comment

I am head mechanic on 2 650's and put a few miles on one of them when I was finishing up the rebuild on my '01 600. The only advantage to going with the 650 is fuel injection, but if you are a shade tree wrench head like myself, a well set up rack of carbs runs and starts just as good in cold weather. I did find the 650 a little buzzy in the handle bars compared to my 600. Braking and suspension are nearly unchanged from the Katana's so nothing to be had there. Seating is slightly more upright, but I actually find my 600 more comfortable, and the 750 you are eyeballing is a little more upright than my 600 so between the 750 and 650 it's probably about the same.
                Personally, I would go for the 750. The Corbin seat will make long rides easily doable, you save a bunch of cake for say maybe a new pipe or?
                The 750 makes more power for touring and has more power on reserve for passing etc. And the 750 doesn't have a butt load of fancy electronics which may equal more maintenance issues.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

That's interesting... my Pre-750 runs best when it's hot.

Personally, if debt and value is a big concern of yours I'd go for the 750. It's less money, it's already depreciated most of it's inflated value and you'll still have a good, solid bike for many years.

In my opinion, people should not be buying recreational vehicles if they can't afford to pay for them outright. If you have to borrow, you shouldn't be getting it. That's just the way I was brought up. I realize that people can't always afford to buy everything outright, such as a house or even a car for transportation... but these things are necessities. A motorcycle is not. It makes me so sad to see people buying fancy things like iPhones and flat screen TV's when they can't afford them and just add to their debt. That philosophy has worked well for me so far.

I'll send a PM to Dave (Astro4x4) as he may have advice based on experience. Someone in his family bought a 650F and he rode it home for her.
                  __________________________________________________ ______________

I agree with your philosophy dexter about financing...but I truly am responsible when it comes to that. If I were to go new I'd have to finance, but I have good credit & lots of collateral in my house/investments/etc to get the best interest rate possible...seriously, next to nothing as far as interest rates go. The part that really burns my *** is the $1500 to $2000 depreciation the moment you drive away on your "dream".

I realize I'm the only one that can decide what works best for me, but all the points of view really help, thanks.

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                  I forgot about those folks that live in hell for half the year.
                  __________________________________________________ ________________

We're well aware of that!! Thanks for rubbing it in!!

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                  I am head mechanic on 2 650's and put a few miles on one of them when I was finishing up the rebuild on my '01 600. The only advantage to going with the 650 is fuel injection, but if you are a shade tree wrench head like myself, a well set up rack of carbs runs and starts just as good in cold weather. I did find the 650 a little buzzy in the handle bars compared to my 600. Braking and suspension are nearly unchanged from the Katana's so nothing to be had there. Seating is slightly more upright, but I actually find my 600 more comfortable, and the 750 you are eyeballing is a little more upright than my 600 so between the 750 and 650 it's probably about the same.
                  Personally, I would go for the 750. The Corbin seat will make long rides easily doable, you save a bunch of cake for say maybe a new pipe or?
                  The 750 makes more power for touring and has more power on reserve for passing etc. And the 750 doesn't have a butt load of fancy electronics which may equal more maintenance issues.

Thanks for the info Astro. So you have ridden both bikes, it sounds to me the extra $3500 isn't worth it...did I hear you right...you work at a bike shop on these things?
                  Last edited by METALGOD; 12-26-2009, 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Naw, I don't work for a bike shop, but my garage has turned into one since I took up riding a few years ago. Last spring I took my sister in-law and mother in-law to the T.O. bike show and they walked out with a GSX650F each. At the time they bought them, neither had a license, it's a longer story, and maybe I'll fill ya in some time if we ever meet face to face. I do all their maintenance and repairs so they can just simply ride. I currently have the mother in-laws for winter storage and repairs after she dropped it about 6 times this year, every time while going no faster than a walking pace. Now, I haven't riden a 750 so I can only assume it's just like my 600 with more power. After all they are darn near twin bikes.
                    If you are going to buy new, wait until the big spring T.O. show, my in-laws got a really good deal from Newmarket Suzuki and their 650's at the show.
                    Is this going to be your first bike?
                    Ya, the extra $3500 isn't really worth the differences.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                      Naw, I don't work for a bike shop, but my garage has turned into one since I took up riding a few years ago. Last spring I took my sister in-law and mother in-law to the T.O. bike show and they walked out with a GSX650F each. At the time they bought them, neither had a license, it's a longer story, and maybe I'll fill ya in some time if we ever meet face to face. I do all their maintenance and repairs so they can just simply ride. I currently have the mother in-laws for winter storage and repairs after she dropped it about 6 times this year, every time while going no faster than a walking pace. Now, I haven't riden a 750 so I can only assume it's just like my 600 with more power. After all they are darn near twin bikes.
                      If you are going to buy new, wait until the big spring T.O. show, my in-laws got a really good deal from Newmarket Suzuki and their 650's at the show.
                      Is this going to be your first bike?
                      Ya, the extra $3500 isn't really worth the differences.
                      I actually bought my last bike New from Suzuki of Newmarket last January @ the bike show, a Boulevard M50, it was going for the same price as the GSX650F. I put tones of K's on the M50, but in the end I knew the cruiser thing just wasn't for me. I took the loss of buying new & sold it, that's why I'm hesitating about buying new again. I called Newmarket & the best they can do on a '09 is $800 more than the new '08 I'm looking at, it does have ABS & is a model year newer, but I dig the '08 color, & $800 is $800.

Still torn...but hey, if that's my biggest problem @ the moment, life is good!

Comment

Spooky - we ( some KR friends helped) talked my sis-inlaw out of the M50 and steered her towards the 650.
                        2000 Katana 600
                        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                        X