Exhaust dripping?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust dripping?

i noticed where the chrome ends near the lower part of the exhaust pipe on
    u bike it was dripping some fluid, didn't really smell like gas... Only dripping out of te right hand side muffler.

This happened after I stuk my new carbs on and fired it up. It was only dripping out the right muffler and I may have flooded number 3 n 4 carbs while priming, with my retarded makeshift hanging gas resoviore*. Just wondring If that's what happens when u have unburnt fuel being exhausted? Since it took a fair amount of tries to get it started before it ran...

P.s I'll be posting a vid later to let you all see and more importantly Listen because I think it sounds kinda wack at the moment. Diagnostics n sh*t.
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

CHeck your oil asap and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. You either have incorrect float heights or the needle/seat is leaking. Fix those first. Easy way to check the seats is blow through the fuel hose, nothing should go through, NOTHING. If that is tight it has to be your float heights set to low which really means they are too high.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

is this your bike ...its ok then

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
        CHeck your oil asap and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. You either have incorrect float heights or the needle/seat is leaking. Fix those first. Easy way to check the seats is blow through the fuel hose, nothing should go through, NOTHING. If that is tight it has to be your float heights set to low which really means they are too high.
        if I drain a bit after running the engine for a few secs will I be able to smell it? I've had people tell me gas is heavier than oil but that doesn't seem correct at all...I'm no oil expert tho.

I checked oil lvl and it hasn't changed, pulled oil cap and smelt, didn't smell gassey...

After I flooded the 2 carbs I immediatly or like 1 minute later cranked the engine over n over after hooking gas tank up in attempt to start. Idle was set too high I think. So once I got it started I noticed the slow dripping. Didn't smell like gas tho that's the weird thing. I'd think I forced most of the excess gas from the flooded 3 n 4 carbs would have gotten pushed into the exhaust..

Are you saying tho that even tho I turned it over whatever, gas still sept past the rings into the crankcase? Like, if there was enough to drip a bit out of the exhaust it probably got past the rings too. I poored about 100-150 ml or so of gas into carb 3 n 4. Relized I messed up, put nothing in 1 n 2. 4-2 exhaust system and only the right side exhaust dripped after I got bike started. Plugs didn't appear to have gotten wet on 3 n 4 Just to clarify. Not that I looked at them but bike fired up shortly after (15 minutes of trying to start here and there, or every so often)...
        For sale thread Album
        1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Steve, you live on the island and it's november, it's probably water. You also havent warmed up your bike lately from what you posted. Water is also a by product of gasoline combustion.

Do make sure your engine isn't flooding with fuel from sources like the carbs or petcock vacuum line, but it may just be condensation.

Catch a drip with your finger and smell it, anything?

Hope it's all good,

Jet

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
            if I drain a bit after running the engine for a few secs will I be able to smell it? I've had people tell me gas is heavier than oil but that doesn't seem correct at all...I'm no oil expert tho.

I checked oil lvl and it hasn't changed, pulled oil cap and smelt, didn't smell gassey...

After I flooded the 2 carbs I immediatly or like 1 minute later cranked the engine over n over after hooking gas tank up in attempt to start. Idle was set too high I think. So once I got it started I noticed the slow dripping. Didn't smell like gas tho that's the weird thing. I'd think I forced most of the excess gas from the flooded 3 n 4 carbs would have gotten pushed into the exhaust..

Are you saying tho that even tho I turned it over whatever, gas still sept past the rings into the crankcase? Like, if there was enough to drip a bit out of the exhaust it probably got past the rings too. I poored about 100-150 ml or so of gas into carb 3 n 4. Relized I messed up, put nothing in 1 n 2. 4-2 exhaust system and only the right side exhaust dripped after I got bike started. Plugs didn't appear to have gotten wet on 3 n 4 Just to clarify. Not that I looked at them but bike fired up shortly after (15 minutes of trying to start here and there, or every so often)...

If you mean you poured it into the throat of the carb instead of the fuel line then yes no wonder it is dripping. If you want to prime it go through the spark plug hole with just a few drops. You probably did flood it, at the very least I would check those plugs for fouling.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

If you mean you poured it into the throat of the carb instead of the fuel line then yes no wonder it is dripping. If you want to prime it go through the spark plug hole with just a few drops. You probably did flood it, at the very least I would check those plugs for fouling.
              I did not pour gas into throat no I poured through the fuel line going to Number 3 n 4 carbs. Vacume petcock is working fine. Plugs are sparking fine, what do fowling' plugs look like, I thought plugs were either fouled or not..

I siphoned some oil out of the crankcase through the oil fil cap with a 6mm ID PVC tube and it didn't smell like gas at all.

Jetmerrit, I caught a drop and it smelt like oily water. Probably due to water absorbing or mixing with oils in the exhaust packing. I attempted to ignite the drippings on the small "puddles" on the shop floor with an "almost empty" propane torch and a lighter afterwards. Nothing, not even the slightest flame. Seems like water..i also noticed now it is dripping out of both mufflers. Probably was the whole time I just didt notice.
              Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-29-2009, 12:41 AM.
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Maybe it is just condensation then, I misread your first post then. If the plugs are sooty looking or wet then they are probably fouled. If not, carry on.

Comment

Maybe it is just condensation then, I misread your first post then. If the plugs are sooty looking or wet then they are probably fouled. If not, carry on.
                  You misread it or I posted confusing stuff as usual when im all rushing to beat the battery dying on my iPhone. thank god im on my laptop now. Thanks for the insight tho, it's priceless.

Bike is running now, but thats good to know about the amount of gas to prime the cylinder with...i probably would have done more...thats just my misinformed self tho. im learning :P

im going to try and post this video now too....
                  For sale thread Album
                  1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

It's just your bike crying. Give it a tissue and a hug.

ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                      It's just your bike crying. Give it a tissue and a hug.

It's pouting and throwing a fit because it's winter.

Condensation, nothing more. No worries.

That's why I keep the buttplug in the Micron
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yup...condensation. nothing to worry about.
                        well, almost nothing. unless your bike is ridden regularly
                        in order to remove it, it will rust the crap outta your exhaust, and
                        over long periods, eventually rot it. I have seen people insert a small self tapping screw into the the underside of the lowest part of the exhaust in order to drain it once in a while.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                          is this your bike ...its ok then
                          That Is Friggin' Sweet .....
                          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

in know there are suzuki lovers too

Comment

Working...
                            X