X

rpm recs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpm recs

i rode my bike for the first time today. it was awesome. anyway, i was wondering how high rpms before i needed to shift. i was cruising around 55-60 and the rpms seemed to stay around 4500-5000 in 4th 5th and 6th. is that too low? when youre just riding, cruising, where do you usually keep it? i was wondering if 60 mph was too low to even be in 6th gear to begin with.

what advice can you give me for getting the most out of the bike so that it's not laboring too much unnecessarily, and is not bogged down with too low a speed for the gear?
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

If you want economy when you are cruising keep the revs under 6500.

When I cruise the highway at 140Km/h I am revving around 7000, I hate it but that is the nature of this beast.

BTW the fun doesn't really start until 7000Rpm.

Jet

Comment

Get it up at 8 or 9 to blow it out ...just shift good

Comment

I BELIEVE I SAW A POST RECENTLY THAT SUGGESTED SHORT SHIFTING FIRST AND SECOND BUT UPPER GEARS GO FOR IT.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

You will get smoother shifts in the 6k+ range, but worse gas mileage. For the first few weeks of riding, I didn't really get it above 6k at all, after that I slowly started increasing how high I let myself bring the rpm's little by little. I wanted to make sure I was in control, not the bike.

As for speed vs gear, I will cruise at 40-45 in 6th. You just have to down shift before accelerating hard.
          Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Originally posted by uno View Post
            You will get smoother shifts in the 6k+ range, but worse gas mileage. For the first few weeks of riding, I didn't really get it above 6k at all, after that I slowly started increasing how high I let myself bring the rpm's little by little. I wanted to make sure I was in control, not the bike.

As for speed vs gear, I will cruise at 40-45 in 6th. You just have to down shift before accelerating hard.

Comment

In the owners manual it will tell you recommended shift ranges. but if I remember 1rst to second was 12 to 15 mph etc, If you do not have the manual they are available for download here. free way speeds my kat stayed at 5500 to 6000 rpm running 65 to 75, hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                In the owners manual it will tell you recommended shift ranges. but if I remember 1rst to second was 12 to 15 mph etc, If you do not have the manual they are available for download here. free way speeds my kat stayed at 5500 to 6000 rpm running 65 to 75, hope this helps
                every single link for owners manuals i have found either doesnt work, or its a link for a service manual. i just want the owners manual 2006 600
                previous rides
                06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                X