X

Removing Bar end weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Bar end weights

I'm having trouble getting the bars ends off my '01 Kat.
    I've tried my impact driver, but those damn screws just don't seem to want to budge.
    I'm afraid if I twist or smack them any harder, I'll knock the bike over!

Any suggestions?

Spray some WD40 into the bolts, peel back the grips and spray some more into the handlebar. Let sit for a few hours and try turning the bolt and barend weight together.
    It the barend weights are similar to the ones on the Bandit, do not back the bolts out all the way, back the bolts out maybe 1/4" and use a rubber mallet to hit the bolt into the barend weights to loose the rubber washers inside handlebar, then spray more WD40 into handlebar to try and get the barend weights out.

Comment

The bandit bar ends are compression mount. So far as I remember... on the kat there's a threaded insert inside the handle bar.

I'd suggest getting a socket-allen wrench to remove it if it's being really stubborn.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 to turning the weight the same time as you are turning the screw. I had to use a pipe wrench on mine.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

strap wrench or pipe wrench usually does the trick

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Mine wouldnt come loose, they ended up stripping the heads off, so I had to drill the end of the screw out. Then the bar end weight slid off and I could use vice grips to get the rest of the screw out.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

put a (preferably metal) pipe/tube on the end your hex/allen key and use it for extra leverage. Wikipedia - Lever. Hex bit sockets also work well ;

Screws/bolts that have been in there for a while often need 'impact driver' like torque to remove. Just put a tube for leverage on the end of your hex/allen key (i have an old scrap 1.5' long steel pipe i use). Use a sudden jolt or burst of "torque/strength" to break the bolt free. I find that even extreme strength applied at a slow rate will yield an unwanted outcome sometimes :P
              Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-17-2009, 02:51 AM. Reason: sdf
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                +1 to turning the weight the same time as you are turning the screw. I had to use a pipe wrench on mine.

+1

Then buy a new stainless steel set from me with a socket head cap screw and never worry about this again
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                  +1

Then buy a new stainless steel set from me with a socket head cap screw and never worry about this again
                  So long as they come with those nifty LEDs im game!
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                  X