X

clear coat for wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat for wheels

After doing some searching. I think I am going to try and remove the black from my wheels and polish them this week. I can't really afford to powder coat them afterwards...but was wondering if they can be clear coated with a rattle can? Anyone have experience with this. I dont ride much in the rain and the bike is garaged...so its not a hugh deal if they dont get covered...but if I can cover them cheaply...I will.

IMHO I would not put anything on them
    unless they are perfectly clean it may not stick
    It could yellow then be a PIA to remove

there are acid base products like Alumibright that they use on truck fuel tanks to keep the shiney longer
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Even a spray can clear will be better than no clear at all. I know duplicolor has a clear in there wheel paint line. That would probably be the best to use or something along that line

Comment

Zoop Seal! A kit runs about $100. Its not cheap, but its probaly cheaper tan powder coat. It is the best thing you can do for polished wheels. You will never have to polish them ever again. It is a long process but it is worth it. The last kit I bought I used it for 4 rims and has tons left over, you may be able to sell the extra so get some cash back.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

If you do it, you'll destroy the paint job when you mount your tires.

You should polish your wheels first, then mount the tires, but don't air them up yet. Mask the tires off, then spray your rims and let it dry. Remove the masking from the tires, now inflate them and voila. No damaged paint. I used this technique when I painted some rusty car rims.

You may also want to mask off the inside of the rim where the tire bead sets up just so you don't wreck the bead.

Comment

Working...
          X