X

Thoughts on a new wiriring harness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a new wiriring harness

I think I might have a problem with my harness cause my tach doesn't work and my gas gauge stopped working randomly, and now it seems I am having trouble with spark,

when I crank the engine it sounds like 2 cylinders fire then the other 2 don't, hard to explain but that's what it sounds like. Bike even on full choke once I got it started would barely want to run. And as soon as I un-choke it dies. I labled my wires which went to my coils from the harness and made sure all wires were hooked up as they were when the bike was going fine. I didn't touch any settings or idle on carbs while they were disconected. This was when replacing my intake boot seals. So I put everything back together perfectly and didn't like to start or run. Timing has been checked and is spot on.

Edit: I should add that this post strays off it's topic rather quickly but my bike has other issues

I have new carbs coming soon just cause my carbs are old as fuch and missing clips stripped-ish screws etc etc. Also new airbox to rule out vacum leak, my box boots are on the verge of death. New fuel lines n filters, new air filter. I am systematically replacing and fixing near every part. Also bike is a 1990 kat 600 not the cali model.

I was thinking about getting new boots n wires for my plugs, do they get crappy after a while? The mechanic mentioned he thought he heard the sound of what he said sounded like a "spark boot/wire 'shorting/arching'" I thought this sounded kinda absurd since it's sealed..

And the one last thing that is bothering me is the noise coming from my cylinder head. Sounds like valvey noises. I was thinking it was probably that the valve tappets needed to be adjusted since I have no idea when that was last done and I presume the previous 2 owners over the past 8 or 9 years didn't keep up with all the maintanece. The bike was never dropped really bad so it looked really good but it was far from good. Good thing I only payed $400

As you can tell I really need some solid advice from you all and I'll really appreciate it. For the record I typed this on my Iphone. I think I have developed arthritis. Also I forgot to change the subject after my little harness question turned unto an all out rant of concern.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-13-2009, 02:52 AM. Reason: Shmaa
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

I wouldn't replace a harness "just in case". If you are concerned about 2 cylinders not firing, pull the plugs and check which ones are and aren't. You can unscrew the caps and snip the plug wire and rescrew it back on. Gas guages do go bad often, make sure it'd plugged in tight to the connectors. You need to find out if it is a fuel or a spark problem first then work your way down.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
      I wouldn't replace a harness "just in case". If you are concerned about 2 cylinders not firing, pull the plugs and check which ones are and aren't. You can unscrew the caps and snip the plug wire and rescrew it back on. Gas guages do go bad often, make sure it'd plugged in tight to the connectors. You need to find out if it is a fuel or a spark problem first then work your way down.
      Thanks. I never think to pull the plugs >.< it's my version of forgetting to plug it in haha. What are your thoughts on the valve noise?
      For sale thread Album
      1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
        Thanks. I never think to pull the plugs >.< it's my version of forgetting to plug it in haha. What are your thoughts on the valve noise?
        Probably needs adjusted, not sure if your bike has the shims or the screw adjusters. These bikes do make top end noise normal running. The plugs will tell you alot, if they are fouled replace them.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Probably needs adjusted, not sure if your bike has the shims or the screw adjusters. These bikes do make top end noise normal running. The plugs will tell you alot, if they are fouled replace them.
          I believe it is screw adjusted. There are little discs in the centers of the valve spring cap thingys. Can't remember the name, too many rums. So I'm guessing that it is screw adjusted and the discs aren't shims, but generic plates for the rocker arm screw bits to push on? Am I on the right track?
          For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Maybe off track. Adjustable valves have a square head atop the rocker to allow adjustment. Most 600's are shim under bucket,If this is the case for you.. your going to need to remove the cam to remove the bucket and get at the shim if it doesn't come off with the bucket accidently. Keep this in mind when removing the buckets... If you hear something fall while doing so, it probably was your shim. Happy hunting.
            Shim under bucket doesn't have the part protruding upward above the nut.

As for the ticking, Yeah, the kats known to tick a lot, So you might be in spec. But it doesn't hurt to check the spec's out.

As for the "the engine it sounds like 2 cylinders fire then the other 2 don't", I'd wager you have carb issues. Dirty pilot jet most likely.

As to the gas tank issue, Since its a 90, and this might as well apply to your tach issue. You stated the previous owners might not have taken care of it very well. I would suggest taking a serious look at the connector found on the right side of the gas tank. Make sure the contacts are clean, and if so, apply dielectric grease, and move forward on the wire harness.If you come across electrical tape or wire nuts or cut and spliced/soldered wires along the way, by all means consider this as a possible source for your electrical gremlins. Inspect each and every connector along the way carefully and apply the dielectric grease liberally to them as you go.

Tachometer, Most of the same advise is covered above. Follow the wires and see if you find a problem. Unless the wire harness is spliced to all hell and things are no longer running to where they should be, then yes, Maybe a new harness is right for you. But its a far strech to say that everything you mentioned wrong above is related to the harness.
            Last edited by Newbie2it; 11-13-2009, 02:02 AM.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
              Nope, off track. Adjustable valves have a square head atop the rocker to allow adjustment. 600's are shim under bucket, your going to need to remove the cam to remove the bucket and get at the shim if it doesn't come off with the bucket accidently. Keep this in mind when removing the buckets... If you hear something fall while doing so, it probably was your shim. Happy hunting.

As for the ticking, Yeah, the kats known to tick a lot, So you might be in spec. But it doesn't hurt to check the spec's out.

As for the "the engine it sounds like 2 cylinders fire then the other 2 don't", I'd wager you have carb issues. Dirty pilot jet most likely.

As to the gas tank issue, Since its a 90, and this might as well apply to your tach issue. You stated the previous owners might not have taken care of it very well. I would suggest taking a serious look at the connector found on the right side of the gas tank. Make sure the contacts are clean, and if so, apply dielectric grease, and move forward on the wire harness.If you come across electrical tape or wire nuts or cut and spliced/soldered wires along the way, by all means consider this as a possible source for your electrical gremlins. Inspect each and every connector along the way carefully and apply the dielectric grease liberally to them as you go.

Tachometer, Most of the same advise is covered above. Follow the wires and see if you find a problem. Unless the wire harness is spliced to all hell and things are no longer running to where they should be, then yes, Maybe a new harness is right for you. But its a far strech to say that everything you mentioned wrong above is related to the harness.
              thanks very much. I do not think all are related just the posibility of coil issues coupled with tach and gauge problems. Carb issues very likley, we shal see soon

also I just got new gauges today, waiting for carbs n box to try them
              out n see if they work or if it is my conectors or something else. Thanks again
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

are the valves depicted shim n bucket or the tappets and screws? I thought it would be the tappets. That's identical to what I have..
                For sale thread Album
                1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
                  are the valves depicted shim n bucket or the tappets and screws? I thought it would be the tappets. That's identical to what I have..
                  The pics are of adjustable valves. Bucket over shim, have no adjusters to them.
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

The pics are of adjustable valves. Bucket over shim, have no adjusters to them.

Ok cool, I've got rockers and cams in min and no shims I'm sure. Did they make some shim and some not in the pre 98's cause my mechanic without looking in the head was "sure" they were shim and bucket but I know they are not.

Perhaps could my bike have had an engine swap I duno. Vins line up with rest of parts and bikes
                    For sale thread Album
                    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

I thought the 88-89 were adjustable, after that shim under bucket. You might have 89 model but licensed as a 90. I believe August is the cut off month for model years.

Comment

I thought the 88-89 were adjustable, after that shim under bucket. You might have 89 model but licensed as a 90. I believe August is the cut off month for model years.
                        Frame vin says mfd: 09/90

When I got the bike the insurance papers had it insured as a 1991...
                        For sale thread Album
                        1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Working...
                        X