X

modifying katana 750 with a gixxer 750 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying katana 750 with a gixxer 750 engine

Need help: I bought what i and the seller thought was a 1999 Katana 750 motor. Well the motor is actually a 1999 gsx-r 750. My bike is a 98 Katana. With modifications is this a possible fit??? I live in Charlotte and drove to Texas to get this "great deal" gixxer motor. I need to do something with this motor and bike. I need some detailed modification information if this swap is even remotely possible and whats needed.

Originally posted by soworthy View Post
    Need help: I bought what i and the seller thought was a 1999 Katana 750 motor. Well the motor is actually a 1999 gsx-r 750. My bike is a 98 Katana. With modifications is this a possible fit??? I live in Charlotte and drove to Texas to get this "great deal" gixxer motor. I need to do something with this motor and bike. I need some detailed modification information if this swap is even remotely possible and whats needed.

99 GSXR is water cooled, so that isn't going to be an easy/quick swap.

Anything is possible... and if you do the swap, I'm sure alot of people here would be happy to learn from you on how it goes... other than that, I don't know of anyone who has done that swap.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i would sell it or trade for a kat 1100 motor
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Besides the mounting of the engine there also mounting the radiator up front, the carbs, the air box since it utilizes air ducts in the frame, the exhaust headers/muffler, the electrical wiring harness, etc.

If your able to return it, that maybe the best for you.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          Besides the mounting of the engine there also mounting the radiator up front, the carbs, the air box since it utilizes air ducts in the frame, the exhaust headers/muffler, the electrical wiring harness, etc.

If your able to return it, that maybe the best for you.
          honestly thats what i would try to do to. you would have to change so many things on that bike that imho it would be more trouble than what its worth.
          sigpic
          -Cory-
          1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
            honestly thats what i would try to do to. you would have to change so many things on that bike that imho it would be more trouble than what its worth.
            If worth = $$... absolutely. This is a loosing deal $ wise comparatively to other options out there.

On the other hand... If your one of the rare people who like to do things just to see if they/it can be done...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
              i would sell it or trade for a kat 1100 motor

Comment

Any benefits to fitting the gixxer motor in? I hear they are supposed to out perform Kats by spades, no?

Comment

Anything can be done but it seems like a very extensive project

Comment

The GSXR motor isn't going to be a direct swap.

You'll need to line up the drive lines, figure out a way to control the Fuel Injection, and figure out a way to provide pressurized fuel to the injectors.... not to mention probably about 100 smaller things.

Anything is possible given enough time and money... however it's certainly not going to be easy.

Originally posted by Danskat View Post
                    Any benefits to fitting the gixxer motor in? I hear they are supposed to out perform Kats by spades, no?
                    The 1999 motor, or the comparable model year old cooled motor?

The oil cooled 750 motors have different cams, which provide a bit more "oomph"
                    Last edited by steves; 11-09-2009, 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                    X