Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New member: How much is this bike worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member: How much is this bike worth?

Hey guys I'm not too sure if this type of thread is allowed here but anyway, I'm new to the whole 2 wheeled world. But I've been racing ATV motocross for 4 years, so I'm not stranger to motorsports or how bikes/ATVs work.
    Anyway, I'm looking for a possible project bike to buy so I can fix it up over the winter and ride in the spring. My friend actually traded his dirtbike for a 1990 Katana GSX600F(if thats correct), and he offered to sell it to me because he knows that I want a project.
    But with us both being new to road bikes we have no idea how much this bike would be worth. So heres the story with the bike:
    1990 Model year
    Odo says 97XX miles
    Speedo doesn't work
    Gas gauge doesn't work
    Needs windsheild
    Needs new keys/tumbler. The PO said someone tried to steal it back in the 90s
    Needs blinkers, and some blinkers don't blink, but they light up
    All the fairings were poorly spray painted black(undersides are still red, you can see in the pics below)
    Battery is dead
    And overall it needs some love.

I rode the bike today and it runs pretty good, but if I got it I would do a major tune up and refresh(clean the carbs, new clutches etc)
    I'm no stranger to working on bikes and quads. Every winter I tear my quad down to the frame, powdercoat everything, and rebuild my motor. And by rebuild the motor I mean split the cases and replace the crank, piston and every bearing, so I'm no n00b with mechanics. I've done motor swaps in cars too but thats irrelevant.
    So here is some pictures of the bike. What do you guys think its worth? thanks in advance

Is the child included?
    I wounldn't pay more then 1500 if that. Bike looks great and is clean but also needs alot of small things done to it. What's the guy asking? Also it wouldn't hurt to find the blackbook value
    1999 Katana 750

Comment

$100.00 to maybe $300.00? KBB is $1085.00 but in good condition. That is what a dealer will give you. My opinion is the bike is in poor condition. You never pay top dollar for a project unless it is vintage or a popular model.
      Last edited by Kfreak; 10-21-2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders

As for the bike...
        Right now i'd say it's worth $1500 at best. If you fix it up, I'd say it could be worth at least 3k. Could be a fun project

.... and there seems to be someone hiding behind the bike.
        Last edited by dlmerdian; 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

i bought a similar condition pre750 for 650 bucks. but I got a screaming deal from a very lacksadaisical college student.

Figure out how much it would cost you to get it where you want to (lights tires and everything else) then subtract that from the fair price of a good running bike of that era.

Comment

The blinkere that are staying lit and not blinking are most liekly doing that because the turn signal on the other end of the bike is either burnt out or missing. Both usually have to be working on each side for the signals to blink for that side. As far s what it's worth, I saw a really clean 93 Kat 600 advertised online at Wow Motorcycles in Atlanta, GA last night for $1200, so I wouldn't go over $1k for that one.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

and ofcourse dealer trade in will always be lower than actualy value of the bike they wanna make money also

Comment

If the engine is in good cond? than $500.~$700.

It's a good bike, faster than most but slower than many. Handles (if set up) about 7 out of 10.

Comment

well...I paid $800 for a NEWER katana in better condition....with all the parts...and decent paint/brakes/tires.....so..I would say $650.

He will probably say you're low balling...but you will need(to put it back to 100%):
                  paint
                  windscreen
                  battery
                  gauge cluster
                  turn signals (from what you said)
                  Forks (if nothing else, at LEAST change the fork oil)
                  you may have to clean out the gas tank and fuel system, clean, rebuild and sync the carbs(recommended when removed), and depending on the condition of the chain/sprocket/brakes/tires, they may need replacing too.

That adds up...any $ you can save on the bike itself is well worth it.

Comment

I paid $1750 for a near perfect conditon 1988 1100 Katana and $500 for this FZ 750 so me thinks it's not worth more that $800 in the condition it is in...in my opinion. Oh and welcome to Katriders

Last edited by solokat; 10-21-2009, 08:35 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by solokat View Post
                      I paid $1750 for a near perfect conditon 1988 1100 Katana and $500 for this FZ 750 so me thinks it's not worth more that $800 in the condition it is in...in my opinion

Dude you got a couple of nice lookin' bikes there. I had a FZ750 years ago ...... I liked that bike pretty good.

As far as that other bike goes I sayin' 750 tops as a running project base.
                      Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM.
                      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by kurtf114 View Post
                        So here is some pictures of the bike. What do you guys think its worth? thanks in advance
                        In perfect condition the bike is worth about 1500. Personally I'd add about 300-500 to that because it has such low miles. You might have extra build up in the jets and valves, but mechanically it should be in excellent condition otherwise. Of course I'd subrtract for other things:

Windscreen $70
                        Guages + connections: $100-200
                        Tires: $100-300 (Those are probably stock with about 1/3 tread left if my experience holds true)
                        New keys: 50-$150 (There's supposedly a number on the ignition that Suzuki can use to make the keys, otherwise a locksmith would have to do it.)
                        Blinkers + blinking device: $30-50
                        Paint: $200-400
                        Battery: $40-60
                        Tune up: $100-200 (parts, not labor)

So that's
                        $1500
                        + $400 (mileage)
                        - $ 70 (windscreen)
                        - $150 (guages)
                        - $200 (tires)
                        - $100 (Keys)
                        - $ 40 (Blinkers)
                        - $300 (paint)
                        - $ 50 (Battery)
                        - $150 (Tune up)
                        =$840 +/- a little bit
                        Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Its getting colder too....on most bikes that sell for $1500...once the cold months hit...selling price goes to around $1000-1200...

Comment

Check NADA.com and search under vintage motorcycles...it will be an eye opener for you:
                            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

value

well to let you know my 2 cents i just bought a mint 1993 gsx600f needing nothing at all $1000.00... not bad.....

Comment

Working...
                              X