X

its turning into a much bigger project than originaly thought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its turning into a much bigger project than originaly thought

ok so i bought a 93 600 kat awhile back with the intentions of modding it a bit and keeping cost relativly low considering i only paid $400 for the bike to start. So i bought it rode it home and started looking into parts i wanted. first of all it had a header only no mid pipe or muffler so i was able to piece together a complete vance and hines ss22r exhaust for $100 thaanx to members here and ebay. i picked up busa mirrors with intergrated signals crome levers white gauges and a bad *** seat from members here and ebay again. i got new plastics for left side at a local bike yard and was getting ready to start working on this. well i decided to go for a shorrt ride before starting any work cause i was impatient big mistake i know the chain was loose and and came off forcing the chain tensioner into the swingarm breaking the sproket cover and clutch push rod such a rookie move i know. it was a fun 40mph slide though luckily i didnt go down. so i got a new swing arm from ebay and had it powdercoeted bcm looks amazing and started to put everything together. in the process of removing the old exhaust header we broke off two header bolts. well tonight we started drilling them out and got the first one drilled out and tried to use an easyout to remove the remainder of the bolt and it snapped off inside joy. also found out the valves are burnt as it has been ran rich thats a winter project to port and polish and new valves now. so now were gonna have to drill the hole completly out and retap them hopfully tomorrow as were trying to go for a ride this sunday. but on the bright side ive got all winter to completly transform this bike now ill will be doing some body work changing the look a little and custom paint should be a pretty awsome bike when its done. i know this is long just wanted to rant and rave a little. i will be posting pics of the complete build soon.
    Last edited by crazyjls; 10-16-2009, 12:55 AM.

sound like a fun project where did you find the busa mirrors at.

Comment

GLAD to hear you didn't go down. Keep up the good work and don't stay discouraged. I myself am on the mission of fixing up my baby.
      I invite you to church.

Comment

Originally posted by drob View Post
        sound like a fun project where did you find the busa mirrors at.
        actually on ebay u can find them chrome which i used or black they bolt right up to the kat just goota be sure to look at how they attatch to the bike there are two different styles

Comment

Pics Pics!!
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by crazyjls View Post
            also found out the valves are burnt as it has been ran rich thats a winter project to port and polish and new valves now.
            When you say burnt valves because of a rich mixture, do you mean a lot of carbon build up or a damaged valves like this:

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Well, THAT is a burned valve, Squiggy!

To tell you the truth, you seem to be going off in two directions on this project. You state you "Keep.. cost relativly low considering i only paid $400 for the bike," but you have done some fairly expensive mods like powder-coating the swingarm and mirrors with intergrated signals(costly relative to rattle-canning the arm and regular mirrors.) The devil is in the details, as they say: a little bit here, a little bit there, and next thing you are talking real money. Decide now- is this a budget build, or not? Then, go in THAT direction.

And stop it with buying new parts, for the moment. Check out the entire bike, mechanically, asertain if it is worth rebuilding, and then either bail, or get the bike mechanically sound BEFORE you buy ANYTHING else. The same deals tend to show up here, on Craigs' List, and on eBay, over and over again- it's not a deal if you can't really use it. I can imagine what goes through your head: "Oh, look shiny pieces..." Tame THAT beast before you attempt to tame the Kat.
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

well first i have not paid for the powdercoating i have a freind i get it done for free and the mirrors were like $20 its definatly a buget buil all in all in to the bike about $800 so id say thats pretty cheap and me and my mecanic have been going through the bike since i started tearing it apart the valves arnt to bad but were gonna replace them over the winter again my mecanic is also a good friend and a drummer in my band so i get all the work hes helping me with for free as well i havnt bought to many new parts and aslo got them all very cheap but thanx for the advice

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                Well, THAT is a burned valve, Squiggy!

To tell you the truth, you seem to be going off in two directions on this project. You state you "Keep.. cost relativly low considering i only paid $400 for the bike," but you have done some fairly expensive mods like powder-coating the swingarm and mirrors with intergrated signals(costly relative to rattle-canning the arm and regular mirrors.) The devil is in the details, as they say: a little bit here, a little bit there, and next thing you are talking real money. Decide now- is this a budget build, or not? Then, go in THAT direction.

And stop it with buying new parts, for the moment. Check out the entire bike, mechanically, asertain if it is worth rebuilding, and then either bail, or get the bike mechanically sound BEFORE you buy ANYTHING else. The same deals tend to show up here, on Craigs' List, and on eBay, over and over again- it's not a deal if you can't really use it. I can imagine what goes through your head: "Oh, look shiny pieces..." Tame THAT beast before you attempt to tame the Kat.

Comment

i should add the bike ran fine when i bought it the valves are just full of build up and discolored quit a bit and we believe they need to be replaced. and i completly understand what ur saying about make sure its worth it. i have all the parts i planned on putting into this bike as of now just working on getting it to the point to put them on. which will be over the winter when i tear it completly down and rebuild the head.i was just a little frustrated by set backs along the way.

Comment

It always does. You gotta consider it a hobby instead of a money pit or otherwise it'll bug you. Usually at the last part of the project, the ground crumbles right underneath you.

Comment

Working...
                    X