X

More Curiosities/Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Curiosities/Problems

Alright, the more I dig into this green katana the more I discover things that are really weird. Yesterday I took the carbs apart and today I went to put them back in. I couldn't take one bowl and one diaphragm cap off due to stripped screws by PO but I cleaned them as best I could.

Anyway, I got to work putting them back in and I kept running into problems trying to get the damn thing to start. I ended up deciding to take a brake so I went to turn off the ignition and I turned off the key....but the lights on the head stayed on O.o. At this point the tank was plugged in. After awhile I decided to remove the jumper cables....still the head lights were on regardless of what I did with the ignition. After wiggling the tank (which was laying sideways across the seat post they finally went out but then I tried to turn the bike back on.

The neutral and oil lights would come on, but nothing else would work. No turn signals, no headlight, no tail light, and no starter. Turning the ignition off would turn the bike off but I checked everything...fuses...main circuit breaker. Everything was good. I got back around to the tank and I noticed that the wires coming off of the fuel gauge thing were very raped...aftermarket. The matching connections on the bike were also very well raped. I connected them then put the tank back on the bike and noticed a spark near the front. With the tank grounded to the frame, everything worked right. If I ungrounded the tank it would go back to oil and neutral light with everything else. This is very weird...the bike runs and all the electrics work...but only if the tank is grounded. I thought maybe I connected the fuel sender to the wrong place....but no....the gauge is reading just fine. Wtf?

One other question...I've cleaned the carbs. Before cleaning, the bike ran pretty well but the floats would stick causing the bike to run hella rich if I let it idle for awhile. I've cleaned them and now the bike idles, but there is no power down low. If I'm in first and get on the throttle it's dead until I hit 2000-3000RPM, then it screams all the way to the redline. Even pops the wheel up when I shift into second. What would be the cause of this? Down low would be mostly the pilot circuit...but the bike idles fine. In the other gears the bike has similar symptoms, not much power till the RPMs start rising. I would think synch but the bike didn't really have this symptom before. Oh, and the setup is stage 3 jets with a V&H SSR Full Exhaust and Pod Filters.

Sorry everyone, typing this out at 5:04AM so it's kind of all just splurging out rather than coming out in a neat and organized fashion. To summarize:

1) Does the tank have some sort of crucial connection to the rest of the bike's electronics on the 88's? My 89 will run fine without the tank grounded. What could have gotten crossed? The only other connection I see coming out with the fuel sender connections is an orange and black wire and a yellow and black wire. Also, like I said, the fuel gauge works fine, the bike just doesn't do anything if the tank is not grounded. With the tank ungrounded, the neutral and oil lights will turn on when the ignition is on, but nothing else will work (taillight, turn signal, horn, headlight, etc.). The only thing it will do is turn off the neutral light if I shift into a gear. Oh, and if I lock the handlebars and turn past it will turn on the tail-light and turn the oil-light on very dimly. I'm thinking about just leaving it as is and not messing with it to be honest.
    2) What constitutes low power in the low RPM range? It runs damn powerfully once the motor gets going, and prior to me cleaning the carbs it didn't really have as bad of a down low problem.

Thanks again,
    -Duo
    Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 10-10-2009, 04:12 AM.
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Whoa, too much for me to digest on a Saturday morning when I should be doing chores...

I can tell you, you gotta get that carb bowl off. Try a impact driver; if that does not work you can usually grab the screw head with a needle-nose vice-grip pliar to get it started.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

hot flash : your carbs AINT clean.

no, grounding the tank should NOT have any effect on teh skoot's electrical. you got something wired wrong/goofy/gone bad.

get out your Service Manual and start tracing carb circuits, and study the schematic and start tracing wires/checking connections etc
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

take a hacksaw blade and turn the screw into a slot-head, then use a bigass screwdriver or impact driver.

It sounds to me like one of your wire-looms near the tank has a bad connection or two.

open the black tape and run continuity tests through each one, while jiggling the cables to look for internal breaks.
        charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

youve definately got a broken wire and probably need to clean out your low end jets better. Agreed about turning the screw into a slotted screw. Place a screw driver in the slot that you made in the screw and tap the back end with a hammer. Place all your weight on the screw driver as you turn it. If it doesn't turn, tap on the back some more. If all else fails, you'll just have to drill and tap.
          In terms of the broken wires, you'll need to try to find where the wire was crimped. Chances are you're shorting out somewhere in the wiring harness under the tank. I ran across it with mine, but it was nothing like your issue. Youve got some serious electrical issues and I would recomment replacing the wiring harness if you run into too many issues.

Comment

for the electric issue
            take a booster cable and jump from battery - to frame or engine mount bolt
            I am betting a bad ground issue and everything is funking up
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

if you have some time to play around, pull off all your wires and connections one by one, test them for continuity, remove corrosion with sandpaper, then give each one a blob of dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion.
              charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Working...
              X