Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Got a question for the more experienced riders...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question for the more experienced riders...

Hi Guys,

I'm 33 years old and have been riding for about 4 months now. I'm past the age of taking excessive risks and I feel that I have a decent handle on the basics of riding a motorcycle. I have taking the MSF course as well. However, I know that I am no where near labeling myself "an experienced rider."

My question is, How long did you guys ride before you felt that you no longer considered yourself a squid? I know that the learning process is ever on going etc...but humor me.

Thanks
    Merv

Welcome to KR, Merv. The term squid is actually an acronym for: Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous. You seem to be on the right track by taking the MSF course To avoid being classed as a squid would merely require you to ride in a responsible manner, wear proper gear - dress for the slide not the ride. Take your time getting familiar with your bike and it's capabilities, and most importantly, ride your own ride - never ride outside your comfort zone of abilities, as Murphy can be a mean old bastage.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

There's also an MSF advanced course when you're ready... you might read some books on the "sport" end of sport touring... "Twist of the Wrist II" might be a good start. Finally, find yourself some friends who are experienced riders and get some real seat time.

Be safe.
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
        Welcome to KR, Merv. The term squid is actually an acronym for: Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous. You seem to be on the right track by taking the MSF course To avoid being classed as a squid would merely require you to ride in a responsible manner, wear proper gear - dress for the slide not the ride. Take your time getting familiar with your bike and it's capabilities, and most importantly, ride your own ride - never ride outside your comfort zone of abilities, as Murphy can be a mean old bastage.
        Ahh...I thought a squid was the same as newbie...lol!

Originally posted by VifferJim View Post

There's also an MSF advanced course when you're ready... you might read some books on the "sport" end of sport touring... "Twist of the Wrist II" might be a good start. Finally, find yourself some friends who are experienced riders and get some real seat time.

Be safe.
        I'm thinking about taking this ERC this coming spring.
        Last edited by mcornelius; 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nice bike,i'm about to pick up a 98 where did you order most of your parts from.

Comment

Originally posted by drob View Post
            Nice bike,i'm about to pick up a 98 where did you order most of your parts from.
            Thanks. The lights are clear alternatives, the slip-on is a yoshi from motorcycle superstore, got the solo cowl off ebay as well as the factory pro advancer, the paint was done by a guy in Yukon, got the 600 top triple tree from Arsenic via ebay, all amsoil fluids via their website...what else...?

Comment

The body needs to learn, this can take 3 months or 3 years, for some, never.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                I guess it that whole muscle memory thing. I tend to pick up things really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by mcornelius View Post
                  Thanks. The lights are clear alternatives, the slip-on is a yoshi from motorcycle superstore, got the solo cowl off ebay as well as the factory pro advancer, the paint was done by a guy in Yukon, got the 600 top triple tree from Arsenic via ebay, all amsoil fluids via their website...what else...?

thx man, maybe ill see you riding sometime.

Comment

Ahh...I thought a squid was the same as newbie...
                    Squid and Newbie are VASTLY different. I'll ride with a pack of acknowledged newbies (sweeper) before I'd ride with ONE squid.

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                    Muscle memory, instinct... call it whatever you want, but it takes a while for the riding inputs to become second nature or instinctual. The more you ride and in different conditions the faster that second nature builds up. You want to be able to react correctly without having to think about what you're going to do. Comes with time and experience.

Never ride faster than your instincts will allow.

I've been off the bike for a year and one month. My bike had been my daily transportation for almost 6 years. I have put more miles on my car in the past year than I had in the previous 7, my bike passed on at 80100 miles. In that time I only put 9000 miles on the car. I've been riding for 25 years, regularly for the past 10. I'm going to FINALLY be in position to buy a new bike in a couple months , but with all my experience and knowledge I will not be comfortable or confident on the new bike for at least 6 - 8 months. I know this. It will take me that long to gain the instinctual feel of a new bike (and riding in general) and the reaction confidence I had a year ago.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your insight tdrcomm...each time I ride, I get more confidence on my bike (not overconfidence). I've gotten pretty comfortable with the city streets around here. My next step is to get more highway time in.
                      Last edited by mcornelius; 09-27-2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Twist of the Wrist II

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Enjoy ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                          Very well said

Comment

I considered myself an experienced rider after I rode my KTM from coast to coast, 3600 mi., over 60% was off-pavement on the Trans-America Trail.

Comment

When I started riding around 1971 we didn't have that term squid. I might have been one a time or two. Mostly I had just enough fear? or respect? of the laws of physics to not be a squid. I can have fun without being dangerous[well mostly]. As you gain more seat time your confidence and skill level will increase. Never submit to peer pressure and ride over your comfort zone, unless maybe at a track day. Good luck and ride safe.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                              X