Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Where is the scam here ? (cincinnati CL)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the scam here ? (cincinnati CL)

Hey guys,
    I know that there are a stack of Cincinnati guys on here, so you might have seen this guy in cincinnati craigslist.

The ad basically says (and he has posted a few) -"Looking for a Sportbike(cruiser, harley,whatever) I go to dealer auctions and have hundreds of bikes available" call 513 624 9000.

Reverse lookup doesnt show anything on the phone number (624 is one of the newer exchanges in the eastern cinti(?) area IIRC. it comes up as a land line phone.

Anyone know anything about this guy ? is this legit or some way to harvest phone numbers ?

-John
    Husband, Father, Church Board Pres., EIT, Ground Radio maintenance 123ACS, N8ITV, Blacksmith
    1997 Jetta GLS 2.slow
    2001 Fuji Heavy Industries Outback 4cyl (Wife's)
    1997 Kat 750 - broken carbs

sorry i'm in seattle, but whaddya mean by "harvest phone numbers?"
    thoughts create things

Comment

Since things like "valid email addresses" can be sold to spam companies for $, It would follow that someone might post a fake ad on CL to get people to call them, then, they'd use their Caller ID to grab your phone number and after you have collected enough, sell them to a spam/telemarketing company.

typing it out makes it seem like an outdated form of spamming, but, since I've recieved spam text messages on my cell before (not recently...) , I can't discount the idea.

At one point, one old lady at my church showed me her (first) cell phone and asked what this "message" was...turns out someone from somehwere.co.jp had texted her...and I had to explain the whole concept of texting AND spam to her.

-John
      Husband, Father, Church Board Pres., EIT, Ground Radio maintenance 123ACS, N8ITV, Blacksmith
      1997 Jetta GLS 2.slow

Comment

I dono about that guy... but my girlfriends dad (owns a car lot) goes to auctions twice a week. He can get harleys and sportbikes for waaaaaay below cost. You never know if there are problems with the bikes though.

Comment

All I want is a running 750 (748cc =) motor. my '97 has 62k miles (all mine) and hasnt run in a few years. The wife wants me to get it going again (we rode away from our wedding on it...) and I cannot, for the life of me find any sub $1000 parts or parts bikes (I know a running Kat will fetch more than $1k, but, all I need is carbs - I'm pretty sure the rest of the motor is all there. a wrecked bike would be great, but I can't even find those.

IF this guy in CL is legit, I'll hit him up and see what he can do, those ads just smell so fishy...

-John
          1997 Jetta GLS 2.slow

Comment

Not sure about that. I do know of a guy in Lawrenceburg who does that and puts them on Cincy CL. I don't know him personally but I met someone who did and said he is legit.
            sigpic

RIP CP
            50th Anniv R6
            95 Katana 600
            http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Angel View Post
              All I want is a running 750 (748cc =) motor. my '97 has 62k miles (all mine) and hasnt run in a few years. The wife wants me to get it going again (we rode away from our wedding on it...) and I cannot, for the life of me find any sub $1000 parts or parts bikes (I know a running Kat will fetch more than $1k, but, all I need is carbs - I'm pretty sure the rest of the motor is all there. a wrecked bike would be great, but I can't even find those.

IF this guy in CL is legit, I'll hit him up and see what he can do, those ads just smell so fishy...

-John

Why not by a set off Arsenic?
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

if your concearned about getting spammed just call from and outside number to hear what hes got to say first.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by Angel View Post
                  Since things like "valid email addresses" can be sold to spam companies for $, It would follow that someone might post a fake ad on CL to get people to call them, then, they'd use their Caller ID to grab your phone number and after you have collected enough, sell them to a spam/telemarketing company.
                  Pay phone .
                  BTW , I know 750 carbs pretty well myself , and have been inside an engine or 2 in my day . Jussayin . Cinci ain't THAT far away (hour or so , give or take) , I work cheap , and if I can't figger it out , I know someone up near Devou park who WILL .
                  Last edited by md86; 09-23-2009, 02:07 AM.
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Contact has been made

I called this guy from my work land-line. Here's how he said it works .....

There's a dealer only auction that happens in Cincinnati every month on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. They are mostly bike repos. What he does is take you in the day before the auction to pick out a few bikes of interest. You can sit on them, start them up and listen to them, and generally check them out. The day of the auction, you give him 1/2 the money for the bike (price is determined over a 6 month avg of what same makes and models went for) and he goes in alone and does the deal while you wait outside. When the deal is done, he pushes the bike out to you, and you go your own way. He says he's been doing this for almost a year and says he avgs 3-4 guy per month that do it thru him.

The pricing works like this ..... he charges 10% as a finders/whatever fee which he keeps and another 200.00 to cover his dealer fee. So, if a bike cost 4 grand, you'll pay an additional 10% and another 2 bills making it a total of 4600.00 on a 4000.00 bike. He says that even with that, your still making a killing for the money you paid.

From talking to him, he seemed sincere in his quest. I, personally, think I can find my own stuff.
                    Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 09-23-2009, 09:07 PM.
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

in that case I need to get a dealer license and start doing that on the side

Comment

md86 - if I can get my last idle adjust screw out (I put some kinda locktite on there...and one of them isnt playing nice) then I might call upon you for help (I'd want to negotiate some kind of time/fee/beer ahead of time first)

I appreciate the guy who called - Bigkat. $200 + 10% isnt a small amount, but hey, a wrecked Kat still might(?) come in under $1k at auction.

An interesting way to make side cash, I bet that there are a lot of cool-arse BMW bikes that get repo'd...

-John
                        1997 Jetta GLS 2.slow

Comment

Okay, so I called him, and emailled him my specs - same story as he gave bigkat. If he can find something cheap, this could rock. Or I could find a cheap K1200rs, which would rock more =)

-John
                          1997 Jetta GLS 2.slow

Comment

sounds legit to me.

I bet you could get your bike up and running for just a couple hundo tho, specially if you had MD helping you out. He knows his chit, I have met him, and he has helped me! Plus Arsenic has a lot of parts that he sells for pretty cheap.

MD gets the Sweet Lou seal of approval!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                              in that case I need to get a dealer license and start doing that on the side
                              The part that's expensive is the insurance.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X