X

stiff clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff clutch

i know this has been covered before (ive read a few of the posts about it but couldnt really find the answer) . my wife wants to ride the kat since i bought a guzzi but finds the clutch really stiff. ive never noticed it before but when i compared it to the clutch on my guzzi it does feel stiff - you need all four fingers to pull in the lever -the guzzi needs two. ive replaced the cable today but aint made much difference - any ideas welcomed or the bike will have to go as my wife says she couldnt operate the clutch more than a couple of times before becoming sore
    its 1973 ,almost dinner time ,i'm having hoops

I would think that the only way to reduce clutch stiffness would be to replace the clutch springs. Of course, when you do that you also risk clutch slippage since there would no longer be as much force on the clutch plates. I'd say get your wife one of those hand exerciser things like guitarists use.

Comment

lol -just bought her one

Comment

When ya replaced the cable did ya dissemble the clutch rod actuator in the sprocket cover and clean lube it? Did ya check that the clutch lever isn't too tight in the perch and give it a dab of lube too.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

will try both those suggestions tomorrow- cheers

Comment

i believe that gsxr100 hydraulic clutch set up would work on a pre kat- anyone know if its any particular year or do they all work? ive been told that the gsxr1100 sproket cover will bolt straight on with no modification. can anyone back this up before i start spending money

Comment

I don't think a hydraulic clutch will significantly reduce stiffness since you are still working against the clutch springs. I might be wrong, though.

I dunno about the GSXR clutch, but I think the Bandit 600 is a direct bolt on.

Comment

Originally posted by primal View Post
                I don't think a hydraulic clutch will significantly reduce stiffness since you are still working against the clutch springs. I might be wrong, though.

I dunno about the GSXR clutch, but I think the Bandit 600 is a direct bolt on.
                As far as a hyd. clutch not changing much as far as stiffness goes, thats incorect. A hyd. clutch will make it smooth like butta. The reason it makes it easier is because the hyd. preasure is way higher then what you can apply with a mechanical clutch.

Originally posted by gib3000 View Post
                i believe that gsxr100 hydraulic clutch set up would work on a pre kat- anyone know if its any particular year or do they all work? ive been told that the gsxr1100 sproket cover will bolt straight on with no modification. can anyone back this up before i start spending money
                I don't know about the bandit 600 but the gixxer1100 is a bolt on change as far as the slave goes. You will still need a master, lever, and hose. I looked at my busa and my kat side by side and the busa master will fit perfectly. The change will work I am in the process of doing it right now I am just waiting on my parts. I think the year range was late 80's-early 90's.
                sigpic
                2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
                2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by gib3000 View Post
                  I've seen a few Katana hydraulic clutch mods done around here. I believe the most common method is the Bandit 1200 setup. Don't know if the 600 is the same.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ck -thanks for the advice -hope your modification goes ok. ive got a chance of a gsxr100 sprocket cover with slave cylinder etc in place -the cover certainly appears the same and looks as though it will bolt on in place of the original one.

Comment

Good luck, I haven't looked at that model of cover.
                      sigpic
                      2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
                      2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

the '89 1100 kat has a hydraulic clutch. the drive sprocket cover looks to match. As my '90 750 kat has a buttery cable clutch, i didnt feel much difference in pull. I did however, notice less feedback when the clutch was starting to engage.

I also have the entire hydraulic setup from a '86 1100 GSXR on the shelf, and it looks to be a direct bolt up too. If i keep the left grip assy from the '90 Kat when i do the motor swap (i intend to use the '90 750 carb rail) i am concerned about the extra space the choke lever assy takes up moving the clutch lever twords the center too much to be comfortable.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

think i wrote gsxr100 instead of 1100- doh !

Comment

hydraulic clutch conversion

Originally posted by ckholloway View Post
                            As far as a hyd. clutch not changing much as far as stiffness goes, thats incorect. A hyd. clutch will make it smooth like butta. The reason it makes it easier is because the hyd. preasure is way higher then what you can apply with a mechanical clutch.

I don't know about the bandit 600 but the gixxer1100 is a bolt on change as far as the slave goes. You will still need a master, lever, and hose. I looked at my busa and my kat side by side and the busa master will fit perfectly. The change will work I am in the process of doing it right now I am just waiting on my parts. I think the year range was late 80's-early 90's.
                            hi ck just wondered if you had made any progress on the clutch conversion.? i've just finnished my wifes superbike handlebar conversion and am about to start on the hydraulic clutch. any advice on problems you encountered welcomed

Comment

i have heared of lever that make the clutch softer

Live to ride,
                              Ride KATANA!

Comment

Working...
                              X