X

New Toy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy

So I've been browsing Craigslist for awhile now and long story short I found a gem of a bike. I've been wanting to try out a cruiser and I found a 1983 Suzuki GS450L. Not the most power, but it runs pretty well and is in excellent condition...and I got it for a great price (more below). But....lets make this thread worth something first....Pics!

I find it amazing how good the chrome looks for it being a 26 year old bike. I rode it for quite awhile today and just loved it. I have no idea why...I just love the bike. It has a little over 17k on the clock which also speaks good for it as its a 26 year old bike. Currently having a couple of problems with it...but nothing that would ruin my enjoyment.

Problems:
    1) Carbs filthy. Has sat, not sat, sat again, etc. and hasn't had its carbs cleaned in ages. Runs pretty damn well though....starts up easily.
    2) Runs lean...I'm guessing this is either because of all of the additives in the fuel today or because of the dirty carbs.
    3) I had a bit of engine knock in the lower rpms that would go clank clank clank....then 2 seconds of nothing.....clank clank clank....etc. It would increase in speed if I raised the RPMs. I"m attributing this to the lean condition as I rode it with the choke for a few seconds and after taking it off the knock was gone for quite awhile.
    4) This bike has a digital gear indicator and while gears 1-4 and neutral show up correctly, 5 and 6 do not light up. After riding for awhile number 5 lit up when in fifth but then died another hour later. I'm not entirely sure how these systems generally worked and if its a sensor that would be bad or bulbs inside the gauge itself.

Anyway, I'm going to go clean the carbs out tomorrow and in the meantime I'm looking for a sissy bar and perhaps highway pegs. I still have the Kat of course....I ride her a lot as well....she's a little sick lately though so I'm trying to ride her less while I fix her.

If you know anything about my problems, I'd appreciate some input >.<. I've heard these engines are bulletproof due to roller-bearings and a number of other design choices.

-Duo Maxwell

**EDIT** What I paid for it: I gave the guy my xbox 360 which has been collecting dust for the past 2 years, a mid-range acer laptop with a cracked screen hinge (he just plugged the thing into a desktop monitor and used it as a desktop), and I helped him clean his GS750 carbs out. Pretty good deal imo as I don't really care about the laptop (it was just going to rot somewhere in the depths of my closet) and while I may regret the xbox 360...logically I know I never play it and would rather play a good pc game. I could probably turn around and sell this bike for a good 1000 dollars or so which would be cool....but I'm keeping it for now.
    Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM. Reason: Same picture twice
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Pretty nice find there. Reminds me of my first street bike. I can't remember the year of mine, but it was the GS650L with the shaft drive. Same colors as yours though. Was a good bike, but I never wrenched on it while I had it. I have a feeling it will run much better once you clean the carbs.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

She looks nice
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

wow theres a classic. That takes me back! Nice deal Ida went for it too! Best of luck with her!
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

My other bike is a 1982 GS850 L. The only issue I had so far is the voltage regulator. The regulator failed twice during my 15 year ownership of this bike. As this item fails, overcharging occurs and tends to blow the headlight bulb and in my case, all the instrument cluster bulbs ( still available at suzuki dealer). Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ for info on your bike.

Comment

cool

Comment

i hope your clank-clank-clank goes away .it might be a cool little cruzier, kick butt on some honda rebels

Comment

Nice bike! I luv the 80s stuff.
                Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I went thru one of these bikes after the PO hooked it up to 200 amp boost trying to start it with a dead battery. fried most all the electrical. that skoot was a pleasure to work on, and a joy to ride. loved the gear indicator. the mechanism is really really simple, so PM me if you need any help. i did the carbs on it too, as well as a few other odds and ends it needed. congrats on finding a great skoot.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Nice find, looks pretty good.
                    Tony
                    1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page

Comment

Sweet! Congrats on the new ride.

Comment

I have a soft spot for these older bikes. I'd love to find a cheap one (that runs!) to putt around on on the weekends. (Unfortunately it wouldn't suit my current commute.)

Comment

Wow, nice bike! My uncle had one of those back in the mid 80's in California, exact same color scheme and everything, he loved that bike to death!

Good deal man!

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
                            Pretty nice find there. Reminds me of my first street bike. I can't remember the year of mine, but it was the GS650L with the shaft drive. Same colors as yours though. Was a good bike, but I never wrenched on it while I had it. I have a feeling it will run much better once you clean the carbs.
                            Yeah, I'm hoping the engine knock goes away after the carb cleaning.

Originally posted by scottb View Post
                            My other bike is a 1982 GS850 L. The only issue I had so far is the voltage regulator. The regulator failed twice during my 15 year ownership of this bike. As this item fails, overcharging occurs and tends to blow the headlight bulb and in my case, all the instrument cluster bulbs ( still available at suzuki dealer). Check out http://www.thegsresources.com/ for info on your bike.
                            Yeah I found the site yesterday...will be posting info soon. The majority of the lights in my instrument cluster are out too...gears 5/6 on the indicator, the oil light, and the high-beam light. The low beam filament on the headlight is also blown (only the high beam works). I guess most of this is pointing to voltage regulator.

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                            i hope your clank-clank-clank goes away .it might be a cool little cruzier, kick butt on some honda rebels
                            Yeah it's definitely fun to cruise around on...and it gets up and goes pretty well for a 450cc 4 valve two cylinder motor (Yeah, 2 valves per cylinder).

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                            I went thru one of these bikes after the PO hooked it up to 200 amp boost trying to start it with a dead battery. fried most all the electrical. that skoot was a pleasure to work on, and a joy to ride. loved the gear indicator. the mechanism is really really simple, so PM me if you need any help. i did the carbs on it too, as well as a few other odds and ends it needed. congrats on finding a great skoot.
                            Taking off the seat is a pain in the ***....but other than that it seems pretty damn straight forward. I don't have the side-covers for the bike so the left side electrics are exposed to the rain. I was thinking that might contribute to my instrument cluster problems.

Also, the PO told me at a certain point it kept blowing fuses in a random fashion....but that it had stopped since.

-Duo
                            Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                            X