X

Neutral Gear Light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Gear Light

My Neutral Gear Light comes on when I start my bike but only works once in a while after that. Any advice on how to fix?

Thanks

I'm having the same problem right now. I did some research through the search function. It seems like you have to take off one of the covers to get at the problem so it may be a bit before I get to it.
    If you truly want to be different...just be yourself.

If you can't stand the heat...become a cop
    FIREFIGHTERS RULE

Comment

power comes to the bulb at the dash, then runs down into the drive sprocket/clutch release cover on the left side. there is a small puck like switch under that cover that is bolted over the end of the shift drum, that makes contact when the drum is in the neutral posission sending power to ground thru the motor case, lighting up the indicator light. if memory serves, it's a blue wire. check the connections all along the wire from dash down for breaks or loose connections. if that doesnt solve it remove and clean the neutral switch under the cover. be aware, there is a small ball bearing, and spring that actually makes the contact. they love to jump out and get lost when removing the switch. you will NOT lose oil.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Thanks!

This info is very useful....Thanks Dude

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
        power comes to the bulb at the dash, then runs down into the drive sprocket/clutch release cover on the left side. there is a small puck like switch under that cover that is bolted over the end of the shift drum, that makes contact when the drum is in the neutral posission sending power to ground thru the motor case, lighting up the indicator light. if memory serves, it's a blue wire. check the connections all along the wire from dash down for breaks or loose connections. if that doesnt solve it remove and clean the neutral switch under the cover. be aware, there is a small ball bearing, and spring that actually makes the contact. they love to jump out and get lost when removing the switch. you will NOT lose oil.

Comment

Neutral isnt a "gear" ...and its overrated.
          '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

I'm having a similar problem but my neutral light would go out after the bike warmed up then come back on after cool down. Were you able to fix the problem? If so, how? This problem just started on my 2000 Kat 600 about a month ago.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I had the same thing a while back. One of the wires on the neutral switch got frayed. I changed out the switch myself. It is not a hard job. The manual will will show you how. Good luck!

Comment

i hooked mine up to the chrome skull that came with my LED kit
                Chrome Project Part 1
                http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by mx916 View Post
                  I had the same thing a while back. One of the wires on the neutral switch got frayed. I changed out the switch myself. It is not a hard job. The manual will will show you how. Good luck!
                  Where is the switch? I looked at the kickstand safety switch, and that looks good, but that was the only one I could find.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                    Good write up!

Comment

Working...
                    X