X

Type of fuel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of fuel

Hi everyone, I just bought my Katana 600 today and for the next refuel, what type of gaz do I have to put in???

Thanks

highest octane possible. and pour at least 1/2 tank of octane boosters in there too.

ugly topic. ask yourself:
    do i own a lambourghini?
    no?
    then 87.
    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

thx

Comment

not trying to be rude, but most vehicles are designed to run on 87. You'd need a higher octane if you had altered an aspect of combustion, such as delaying a spark or such

if the vehicle requires a higher octane, they usually post it on the vehicle, or you would notice engine knock.
        charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Unless your cylinder head is shaved or you have aftermarket high compression pistons, 87 octane should be perfectly fine in the Katana. GSXR's have a sticker right on the tank warning you to run 90 octane or higher premium unleaded.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

my kat runs like azz on 87, noticeable differences at idle and while driving with premium.

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
              my kat runs like azz on 87, noticeable differences at idle and while driving with premium.
              Your bike is overly lean, and that is why it "appears" to run better. The higher the octane, the more the engine will act "rich" in how it burns the fuel.

I say appears because while the "sounds" and "smoothness" are better, the power and performance are not....

If you feel the need to dispute this, please read the following...

Please don't regale me with "butt dyno" stories... the "feel" of the ride is overly subjective. If you dyno the bike, you will see... really, honest.... the engineers didn't lie to us guys. 89 octane is the recomended octane for a reason. If you feel the need to say "nuh uh... it's better" then show some basic proof, please...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

dunno, I just had my carbs synched and tuned about 3 weeks ago, been using 87, they guy dumped out my fuel tank and there was a ton of crud. He said, try premium, with todays gas standards 87 isnt what it used to be with the current additives. I did, and it runs better.

Im not saying youre wrong, but my bike does run noticably better on premium shell vpower, and its freshly tuned.

note: i didnt say "faster".
                Last edited by LAsunbird86; 09-05-2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

dunno, I just had my carbs synched and tuned about 3 weeks ago, been using 87, they guy dumped out my fuel tank and there was a ton of crud. He said, try premium, with todays gas standards 87 isnt what it used to be with the current additives. I did, and it runs better.

Im not saying youre wrong, but my bike does run noticably better on premium shell vpower, and its freshly tuned.

Cleaning those carbs (not just running a cleaner through it) I bet would show you a huuuuge improvement.

I get your saying "this is what I'm seeing, and it's better for my situation"... and not pushing back. I'm just trying to explain there is a reason for what you see, and that it really is something other than "higher octane is better" for a Kat... a conclusion many come to from this exact same situation, and do "push back".

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hrm...well, do you think some seafoam in the tank would help?

I literally JUST changed the carbs (mine had a mystery clog in an idle circuit), but i only went through them like twice.

Comment

hrm...well, do you think some seafoam in the tank would help?
                      Possibly, if buildup is the issue. If it's actual rust/crud... not so much. That will need to be removed physically with a tear down cleaning.

dunno, I just had my carbs synched and tuned about 3 weeks ago, been using 87, they guy dumped out my fuel tank and there was a ton of crud.
                      I literally JUST changed the carbs (mine had a mystery clog in an idle circuit), but i only went through them like twice.
                      That mystery clog, no so much of a mystery with the tank. Filters only do so much, and I can promise you... fine particles will still get through them that are still large enough to clog up the carbs, especially the idle circuit.

I'd bet those other carbs (originals) are fine. They just kept getting reclogged.

Your new ones... well, the tank was flushed... but not knowing what all came out... Is there is spots of rust in the tank at all? If so, that could be the issue. If that is the case... seafoam isn't going to help.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

no, it was rust free, just gunky. We cleaned it out, and the filter (its clear plastic) appears to be flawless..I dunno, this bike tends to have random magic problems lol

Comment

I too run my Kat exclusively on 90 or 91 octane premium, not because I think it adds 10hp at the wheels, but because something in me trusts the quality of the gas more with respect to the purity/cleanliness of the fuel (of course, I will fully accept that marketing has gotten to me).

In the long run, what does it cost... $0.80-$1.20 more every time you fill up? If you like it more, if it makes you feel better, if the placebo effects works for you like it does for me, then spend the extra few cents and relish in it. Bottom line is that it's certainly not going to hurt the engine.
                          /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
                          The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
                          ...and miles to go before I sleep.
                          - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

ive had my bike for 5 years and 21k miles and always put 93 oct
                            only 1 time in this bikes lifetime have i put 87 oct, and when i did i was ridin in traffic and almost stalled alot of times
                            im not sayin my bike is faster but deffenitely feels better when takin off of a dead stop

Comment

I have had my Kat for a year now and she only runs on high octane. I due this because the gas here in NC has ethanol in it. It works for her and so long as she is happy so am I...lol.
                              Ride it like you stole it!!!

MSGT ANDREI A. YOUNG
                              U.S.M.C Semper Fidelis!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X