X

What are the legalities?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the legalities?

Perhaps some of our KR LEOs can answer this, or anyone who may have had the same experience.
    Scenario: I took a ride out to one of my favourite spots.... a bay to watch a storm roll in. As I'm gearing back up a patrol car circles the lot, stops, looks over my bike while still inside the cruiser. (I confess that on the way in I was opened up to enjoy what few twisties we have around here, and since it was a cloudy, cool day there was no traffic to speak of. The straight stretch going in has a few houses on it, set well back from the road, and the driveways are clearly visable from a distance in case someone was trying to pull out. I was probably up around 8G's........maybe 220-240 kph???.... I wasn't looking, I just know what my can sounds like in that range. There may be a possiblity that someone in one of the houses may have called me in.)
    Deed: I followed the LEO out of the bay, and he was speeding. (Probably enjoying the twisties I had enjoyed coming in) I simply kept up to him. The posted speed is 80kph and we're both doing maybe 110kph.....even had to get my a** off the seat and knee out for one righthander. It's at that point I started wondering ...."ummmmm....am I being baited?", and I hung back a bit. I ended up passing by him back in town because I chose a different lane, but I was legal.
    Question: If a LEO is speeding and it isn't call-related (no blinkies), can I pace him/her without fear of getting busted?
    Anyone have an idea/experience?
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

on this side of the imaginary line(border) ,radar is pretty much the law IMHO
    If you were behind him , he has to go faster than you to stay ahead
    Probably worse case , unless you where being completely nuts , he would let you sit in the rain while he ran your Lic. and insurance
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
      on this side of the imaginary line(border) ,radar is pretty much the law IMHO
      If you were behind him , he has to go faster than you to stay ahead
      Probably worse case , unless you where being completely nuts , he would let you sit in the rain while he ran your Lic. and insurance
      Nawww.....I'm squeaky clean.....that wouldn't have bothered me..... but what about the legalities?
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Stay with flow of traffic, that's what i've been taught, no matter who it is. If they put on the lights, back off fast i'd guess...... on a road just north of me its an 80kph zone, one lane, everyone was doing 120, and a opp cruiser was with us in the middle, he didnt seem to care.

although that seems to be the daily average

Comment

I think you can get a ticket because a police car can pace you say from behind, so if he's in front doing 20 over the limit and you're keeping up. Technically you are speeding, I wouldn't chance it.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
            I think you can get a ticket because a police car can pace you say from behind, so if he's in front doing 20 over the limit and you're keeping up. Technically you are speeding, I wouldn't chance it.
            What about......?????? I was trying to catch him to make a citzen's arrest???? Is there any some such law??????
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

it has to be a federal offense to make a citizen's arrest

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                What about......?????? I was trying to catch him to make a citzen's arrest???? Is there any some such law??????
                Good luck with that one!!!
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

LEO's don't always want the bad guys to know they're coming, so sometimes they'll rush to a scene without lights/sirens. Just something to think about.

I think that would be considered entrapment if you followed them through a speed trap. I'd bet the officer you were following could pull you over if he wanted to... When I get to work by myself, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ticket someone following me if I was speeding....it just wouldn't be fair.

I'm not 100% sure about any of this as I've only graduated the academy...I haven't started working yet. So don't take what I've said as fact or being correct.....
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

You do know some cruisers have rear facing radar don't you?
                    Kyle

Comment

You cannot (well i shouldnt say cannot) be charged for speeding behind a cop, they willl not do it because: He cannot radar you, his speedo can be off (because these two fact they dont do it because it is extremely easily faught in court),
                      if you are behind him, keep up all you want, just cross your fingers and hope theres not a cop on the side of the road ahead with a gun : )

Comment

im pretty sure they can radar you, i saw in bc they can

Comment

Originally posted by rome_rome View Post
                          You cannot (well i shouldnt say cannot) be charged for speeding behind a cop, they willl not do it because: He cannot radar you, his speedo can be off (because these two fact they dont do it because it is extremely easily faught in court),
                          if you are behind him, keep up all you want, just cross your fingers and hope theres not a cop on the side of the road ahead with a gun : )
                          You know this how?? If he has a rear facing radar he's got you!

I was pulled over by a VT state trooper for speeding and he told me he could get you speeding from the front or back. He did let me off with a warning, a real nice guy!
                          Last edited by katman05; 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                            You know this how?? If he has a rear facing radar he's got you!

I was pulled over by a VT state trooper for speeding and he told me he could get you speeding from the front or back. He did let me off with a warning, a real nice guy!
                            i should say in nova scotia . . . all areas are different...but here, they have to gun you on the side of the road or be behind you

Comment

Yes, if you're behind a speeding cop he can ticket you.

No, they don't have to get you on radar to write you a ticket. If he's doing 130mph and you're maintaining the same distance behind him, you're paced and can receive a ticket.

Now, whether it's moral or ethical for him to ticket you is a different argument, but legal? Yes.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X