X

New plan for next bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New plan for next bike.

Ok, as some of you may know, I had a Honda Blackbird for a few days. Was stolen and the insurance covered it!

It was a lot of bike for me! So with the pay out, I went on the hunt for a VFR800. I found one and test rode it, and I did not like it!. It felt heavy with a lot of understeer. I was not so impressed. Today I rode a friends 97 GSXR750, And I WANT IT!!!

Do you all think theres any after market stuff that will get me to the riding position of the my Kat? If I can get it close? I'll be looking to buy a 96~99 GSXR750.

Nice choice is there alot of difference in power then your kat?
    We intimidate those who intimidate others.
    Stay Alert! Stay Alive!

Comment

With a newer Gixx, you could do HeliBars. not sure if they offer anything for a bike that old though.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by tindallt View Post
        Nice choice is there alot of difference in power then your kat?
        Yep.

Comment

Blackbird would be way more comfy...just sayin
          '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

If you have a screw you need tightened, would you pull out a grinder and modify a hammer? Or would you go find a screwdriver? There's a right tool for every job, and a GSXR's job clearly belongs on a race track.

have you thought about an FZ1? I see used ones in great shape come up on craigslist all the time for around $3k-$4k. it's probably not quite as taught as a GSXR, but unless you're on a racetrack, you'll never notice. LOTS o' power, comfy for long hours, and sportbike-level brakes too.

You could spend alot of time and money trying to make the gsxr comfy, but in the end, it will never be as good as a bike designed for the job in the first place.

It's your money, if you want a sportbike, have at it. But I would never expect it to be comfy.

(ps, unless you just really like the looks of the '96-99 gsxr's, the 2000 model was a big jump in performance. Better FI system, almost 30 lbs lighter, better suspension, etc, etc....I'd be looking for a 2000-2003 model if it were me)
            Last edited by tmk7c9; 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

got to have F.I. and carbs are not the way to go

Comment

Since you were looking at a VFR, besides the FZ1 that was mentioned, you may consider a Triumph RS 955 or the Sprint 955. Or even an Aprilia Futura. The Aprilia Falcos are a nice naked v-twin, too, with regular handlebars.

But going back to making it more like the Kat, the Helibars were mentioned and then there's Convertibars and Speigler's LSL handlebar conversion.
                Last edited by squiggy; 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

its a good bike

Comment

I do really like the looks of the 96~99. and the price is better as well. I also feel they have plenty of power.

Thanks.

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    Since you were looking at a VFR, besides the FZ1 that was mentioned, you may consider a Triumph RS 955 or the Sprint 955. Or even an Aprilia Futura. The Aprilia Falcos are a nice naked v-twin, too, with regular handlebars.

But going back to making it more like the Kat, the Helibars were mentioned and then there's Convertibars and Speigler's LSL handlebar conversion.
                    Those kits look promising.
                    Last edited by GSXfs600; 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I am telling you right now there is no way you will ever make it as comfy as the kat. The gixxr was made to handle well (which it does), and go fast (which it does). It does those thing very well. As far as comfort goes, I don't think they are that bad but then again its not me looking for a bike. You can cut the seat down, You can do hellibars but it will never be like the kat.
                      sigpic
                      2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
                      2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

Tlr 1000
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'm also lookin an 99 gsxr 1000
                          for 4 grand
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                            I'm also lookin an 99 gsxr 1000
                            for 4 grand
                            You might be grabbing your ankles for that one, especially since the GSXR1k didn't come around until 2001.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                              You might be grabbing your ankles for that one, especially since the GSXR1k didn't come around until 2001.
                              Thanks I will check into that
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X