Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Katana 600 VS the SV650-anyone own/rode both to provide a comparison?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana 600 VS the SV650-anyone own/rode both to provide a comparison?

All,
    I want to hear from riders who have been on both the Katana 600 and the Suzuki SV650S.

I currently ride a SV650S and was considering a 2002 Katana 600 as a purchase. Have not yet been on the bike so looking for some expert opinions/advice from people who know.
    Is the 2002 of the katana 600 as good year for the bike.? any issues specific to that year.? thanks for all advice in advance.....

Unless you are planning on doing some serious touring and comfort is your first priority, the Kat will be a step down.
    sigpic
    »Ross Wendell
    »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

yea, anything over an hour or so SV starts to get uncomfortable. So more comfort would be great.
      A little heavier is Ok too. What I am worried about the Katana is the engine and torque. Does it have a good get up and go.? SV is great for that...

Comment

The kat isn't going to have the same low rpm torque as the sv650, but isn't exactly a slouch either. Still I'm sure you'll notice a significant difference.

Ergos on the kat are more compatible with longer rides, and this site will provide you with endless options and support for the kat.

As far as things to look out for, I'd say the main thing is second gear. If it's having any issues pass because you'll have to split the engine case to make repairs. To have a shop do it will cost more than the bike is likely worth.

Other than that the engine is tough as nails and will take years of abuse. Just look for the same things you would on any other bike.

Personally I have a kat 600 and I've been considering a fully farried sv650 as my next ride.
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by shaliloglu View Post
          yea, anything over an hour or so SV starts to get uncomfortable. So more comfort would be great.
          A little heavier is Ok too. What I am worried about the Katana is the engine and torque. Does it have a good get up and go.? SV is great for that...
          The Kat's not gonna have quite the same 'get up an go' as the SV, but it's no slouch either. You won't be disappointed. The kat's also pretty bullet-proof. It'll take just about whatever you throw at it.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
            The kat isn't going to have the same low rpm torque as the sv650, but isn't exactly a slouch either. Still I'm sure you'll notice a significant difference.

Ergos on the kat are more compatible with longer rides, and this site will provide you with endless options and support for the kat.

As far as things to look out for, I'd say the main thing is second gear. If it's having any issues pass because you'll have to split the engine case to make repairs. To have a shop do it will cost more than the bike is likely worth.

Other than that the engine is tough as nails and will take years of abuse. Just look for the same things you would on any other bike.

I don't really care much for the seat on the SV650.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

both have about the same power, in a flat out run the kat wins, but throw in some corners the SV takes the lead, but for me personally the comfort of the Kat takes it hands down
              Some days your the bug.....Some days your the windshield.

Comment

Working...
              X