How to take a passenger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take a passenger?

Hey everyone,

Been starting to ride with my GF lately. Cannot find the perfect way of doing it. No problems with the maneuvering or anything, the problem is how to get comfortable. I have never has a passenger before and she hasn't been on bikes either.

We tried sitting with a bit of a gap between us, but it seems that under braking she slips forward and into me and has to readjust everytime. Also this position is uncomfortable for her, but is fine with me.

We tried sitting tight, and she was able to get comfortable. However at the end my arms were numb from the constant weight I had to bare on the handlebars.

My question to you people: how to have a backseat properly? Use the grab bar? Half and half?

a Corbin seat
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
      a Corbin seat
      Even with a corbin seat the braking and whatnot will be an issue.

I'm talking about positioning.

Comment

When coming to a stop, your girl needs to reach around your torso and put her hands on the gas tank. That way, she can help support her own weight with her arms.

Comment

Originally posted by fablican View Post
          When coming to a stop, your girl needs to reach around your torso and put her hands on the gas tank. That way, she can help support her own weight with her arms.
          A lot of my buddies told me the same thing but with the riding position of the Kat I don't see it happening for some reason? Also she is a small girl and I really don't see her being able to do that (tried it already).

Comment

Okay, then. Either get yourself a Bowflex, or talk your girl into taking an MSF riders safety course and buying a Ninja 250.

Comment

Its not ever going to be as comfortable as you want. Id recommend a Goldwing if you want to two up. My wife is so tall we bang helmets.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I don't mind the extra weight on the arms as much as the extra weight on the crotch (frogot to mention) lol. Her getting on a bike as a passenger is already enough, I don't think she'll ever want to ride one, ha!

We don't ride 2-up very often, but if I can manage getting comfortable maybe I would do it more often!

Comment

I also had this problem, if my girl wrapped her arms around my waist then she was good under acceleration but as soon as we braked she would slide forward and hit me in the back.

I told her to try to grab my hips so she could hold on in either direction but her hands are too small.

Long story short the best advice i can give is to tell her to squeeze the bike with her legs more tightly if possible, if she can keep her hips in one place then she just needs to use her torso to keep her from falling forward.

Comment

What works for me its passenger using grab bar when im braking, holding me when im accelerating. holding bar, she can stop sliding forward, granted you brake smooth and start earlier than usual. Holding me when accelerating prevents a huge backward slide too.

Comment

My wife uses the grab bar, it makes me a little paranoid when we start off. I worried about her falling off the back. We purchased a Givie E52 hard trunk with a backrest, now she leans back and holds on to the rack. She's comfortable and I'm confident that she cant fall off the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence View Post
                        What works for me its passenger using grab bar when im braking, holding me when im accelerating. holding bar, she can stop sliding forward.
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

So that means the passenger has to pay attention to what is going on... But it won't work in, say, the sort of traffic where you can brake anytime to avoid a car.

Comment

My current gf likes her riding position on the back of the Kat more than the YZF I'm currently riding. It looks as if it's her loss and my gain. I don't plan on riding two up too often. (Good thing I bought an extra helmet that I liked )
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

We don't and won't ride 2 up on the kat just because there is no need. We do ride 2 up on the busa and we are quite comfy. She hold on to my belt loops when I am accelerating and she palms the small of my beck when braking.
                              sigpic
                              2004 hayabusa LE-my ride
                              2006 ninja 250-the wifes ride

Riding is not just something you do, its a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X